W reg (2000) Xantia heater blower issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

W reg (2000) Xantia heater blower issues

Post by Gingerposer »

My heater fan stopped working yesterday evening, after having worked as normal up til then.
Heat control was fine, fan speed was ok, aircon worked when I turned it on to clear the screen.
After a stop, nothing. Have checked fuses, they are fine.
So, having read of various heater fan woes affecting earlier Xantias, I wonder if I am in for a bit of a rake about the footwells :lol:

Any pointers what to look for next - I have a multimeter but only limited experience at checking car electrics so make it simple please!

Cheers

ainslie :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Despite legend, not all MK2 Xantias had the Blower Relay fitted from the factory so yes, I'd be looking at the problem that mostly afflict MK1s and see if that is the cause (ignition switch).

A quick check, before you go ripping anything much out or doing the mod is to check for 12V at the input to the blower speed module on the heavy red and black (maybe grey) wires in the 4-way multi-plug. A lack of 12V here means it is definitely the same problem as on a MK1 or it could, if yours has one fitted, the blower relay. This sits proud at the bottom of the relay rack below the cabin fusebox.

If you do have 12V at the 4-way plug, check the connections inside the plug as they often get poor and run hot which leads to a high resistance connection.

Also look for 12V at the regulator output. These are on the single heavy red and black wires that disappear up and into the motor. It's not unknown for the brushes to fail in the motor. If so, a sharp tap may restore temporary operation.

Not the best time of year to suffer a fan failure :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Progress

Post by Gingerposer »

Update:
I've removed the carpet covering the blower, checked various connections. Got good voltage at the brown four way multiplug, however the black cable is showing bare wire just as it enters the multiplug. Removing the plug and replacing it once produced some fan activity but no response to the controls, doing it again restored normal function.
So my next questions is, would it be safer to somehow extend the wiring (there's not a great deal of spare length at all) and renew the multiplug? Obviously there's something wrong with the existing arrangement and I would prefer to make it more reliable!

Next question. While I was fiddling about with the heater wiring, I noticed a regular buzzing sort of noise coming from the front of the footwell area. Almost like a relay struggling. Any ideas while I have the carpet off?

Cheers for the help so far, it's boosted my confidence in trying to fix this myself!

Ainslie
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Renewing the four-way plug and socket is a fiddly job.
You could extend the black wire through the plug/socket and solder it.
Crimp connectors aren’t much good for high current.

The buzzing sound may be the heater flap motor at the bottom front left of the centre console.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389