Xantia 1.9TD with a stiff clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Xantia 1.9TD with a stiff clutch

Post by Chris570 »

But in contrast to most threads i've seen here this car has had a new clutch (Valeo) and had new fork bushes...

tis a '94 model.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They are all pretty heavy even when new, execpt the last XM I bought, it has a new clutch and is as light as a feather and I would like to know why.

Try spraying some copper grease on the bearing under the lever on the gearbox that the cable is attached to, also on all the joints of the cable and pedal bushes as well, that should lighten it up a bit.

Peter
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Excellent, will give that a go.

good cars these, easy to drive and with an easy 60mpg (even on veg) its amazing they didnt sell in greater numbers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

They are indeed and the XM is even better :D
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Get missus to operate clutch with engine off. Listen for signs of any stiffness. You can sometimes hear it outside on pivots or cables OR inside bellhousing. It can be a pointer if owt is worn or sticking. Any feeling of stickiness through pedal? That feeling can be travelling a long way!

Can also be caused by cheap nylon top hat bushes inside bell housing being worn.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

yeah, def with the engine off as they arent quiet engines :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris, a 1.9TD should have a clutch that is as light as a feather, especially a new Valeo with new fork bushes.

If all the advice so far does not work, I'd replace the cable even though the dreaded clip makes it a less than simple job.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back :)

makes me wish i'd bought the v6 with the auto box :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: makes me wish I'd bought the v6 with the auto box :(
No, no, no you don't, Chris, not really :twisted: :lol:

If that autobox throws its toys out of its pram (and they do :evil: ) it will hurt big-time! Take it from one who knows....

But.... On the other hand, a V6 is a truly wonderful car and once bitten, forever smitten :D I love mine to bits despite practically rebuilding it, gearbox and all... Have a look at my blogs :wink:

A bit belated perhaps but a warm welcome to the forum Chris. You've arrived whilst we're in a bit of disorder and chaos but I hope you'll stay :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Peter.N. wrote:Try spraying some copper grease on the bearing under the lever on the gearbox that the cable is attached to, also on all the joints of the cable and pedal bushes as well, that should lighten it up a bit.
I was told (by a trusted engineer), that you should never use copper grease on any moving part, as the copper acts as an abrasive and wears away any softer bearing surface. Use it only on fasteners, flanges and (non sliding) splines.

A lithium grease or general purpose grease is probably better in this application.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Yeah, the clutch should'nt really be heavy if it's new. Changing the cable is the obvious thing to try, but it's a bit of a pig of a job. It's very important to route it properly through all the guides etc. (THAT may be what's wrong!)
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
Chris570 wrote: makes me wish I'd bought the v6 with the auto box :(

But.... On the other hand, a V6 is a truly wonderful car and once bitten, forever smitten :D I love mine to bits despite practically rebuilding it, gearbox and all... Have a look at my blogs :wink:

A bit belated perhaps but a warm welcome to the forum Chris. You've arrived whilst we're in a bit of disorder and chaos but I hope you'll stay :D
I can relate to that, i have an AX with a VTR engine that despite all logical reasoning (SWMBO) i can't bear to part with it
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I don`t think copper grease is a bearing grease either. I have also read that there is no copper in it :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:I have also read that there is no copper in it :lol:
Then just what has it got in it then Lexi :lol: :lol: Looks pretty coppery to me!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

lexi wrote:I don`t think copper grease is a bearing grease either. I have also read that there is no copper in it :lol:
Well, it seems to work. I would have thought that copper, if it has any in it, would be softer than most other bearing materials. That being the case - use ordinary grease :D