URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! Xantia TD Aux Belt Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wainy
My Cars:

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! Xantia TD Aux Belt Replacement

Post by wainy »

Hi,

I'm halfway through doing the aux belt on a 1998 Xantia TD (late s1).

As usual the BoL is telling lies and the tensioner arrangement is completely different to that shown. Seems to use an eccentric tensioner pulley. The problem is, I've got the belt off but can I get the new one on? Can I *$&**% :evil: !

Can anyone give tips urgently?????? The belt is the same length and I've tightened up the tensioner so it is giving as much space to get the belt in as possible, but just can't get the belt over the last pulley and its about to rain!

Thanks,
WAINY

2016 C4 Picasso Exclusive (Black)
1983 GSA X1 (Black - being restored)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Have you pulled back and locked the larger sprung tensioner at the top?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

No.... how's it done? :?:
WAINY

wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

I've had a look at the top tensioner and it doesn't look anything like that shown in BoL for either Xantia or 206 (old car... kept manual!). In 206 it says to move this tensioner using a spanner/socket but on my car the pulley is held on by an allen bolt. There's no access to get anything in to the head of this so that's not going to work. The Xantia manual shows a completely different type to that fitted to my car so is useless. The actual set up looks more like the 2.1 Diesel in the diagram next to the 1.9 Diesel as shown in BoL. Only problem is I can't find a square hole to put the 3/8" drive socket handle for releasing the tension as suggested for that engine.......... AAAARRRGGGHHH! I need my tension releasing now!!!
WAINY

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

You need a 1/4" ratchet with a short estention and a (I think) 6mm drill or M6 bolt, put the ratchet estention in the square hole on the spring tensioner and push it towards the bulkhead, wile holding it in that position insert the drill bit/ bolt into the small hole in the tensioner untill it lokates in the hole behind, then releace the estention bar and the tensioner should stay put, now you can fit the belt, reset the eccentric tensioner, then push the spring tentioner back with the bar and remove the drill/bolt, job done.

Hope you follow that (I've been on nights so may not make compleat sence :lol: )

In the past I've used a ratchet strap between the pully and the top engine mount to pull the tensioner back.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s the trick where you take the very short square ended extension and file two flats on it so that you can get an open end spanner on it. The allen heads on bolts are reached with a ball ended allen key. Unfortunately the ball end would be better on the short end of allen key rather than long.

There was a thread listing exact procedure and tools needed....can`t find it............is it pissing yet?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

IF you can, get an Allen or Torx KEY on the BOLT! Its right handed thread, and the tensioner swings upwards!!! MUCH easyer then trying to find the HEX Square hidden above the pully, What you might need to do is get a jack under the engine and remove the top mount and LOWER the engine a bit so you can see the tensioner more clearly...

BELT: Round Crank anti clockwise, to the air con, up to the alintator, down and around the ECCENTRIC Tensioner, then UP TO THE HP PUMP, then round the Spring loaded tensioner back to the crank IS THE ROUTE IT TAKES

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

Hooray! Done it.......! :D Thanks for the replies.

Talk about good timing, it just started pissing (thanks for the Paisley dialect, Lexi!) as I was putting the wheel back on.

Found the hole for the square drive, so it IS the same set up as on the 2.1 diagram. Access was terrible though. Could only see the hole from above with a torch and not at all from below. Loads of plumbing in the way too. But done it..... albeit with some very bad language! Was MUCH easier on my Activa.

Was going to do this job the weekend before last but weather was awful (snow!) and then couldn't do it this weekend cos I needed the car. However, the belt started disintegrating as I started the car last night. Turned it off and had a quick look. Sure enough, there were bits of belt peeling off in at least 3 places.

I remember you telling me that tip about the belt now Lexi but I had already done it by the time I read your post. How's the V6?
WAINY

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Excellent Wainy. I was worried that you may just do one journey too many with the belt as I saw it had crazing on it. These jobs are no bother to you young uns :lol:

V6 is good ...........usual Citroen stuff of course. I think PSA got the Vietcong to put these cars together.........they are full of expensive Booby Traps :shock: :lol: :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use an 18inch long half inch drive knukle bar with a half to 3/8th reducer on to pull the tension of/on on this auto adjuster, mind you you still need to remove the top engine mount to have the clearance,

i also found you need an asistant to put the peg in from below

regards malcolm
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

Sounds like I did well to do this on my own and without moving the engine! At one point I was pulling the tensioner back from above with one hand while trying to put the pin in from below with the other. Looked like I was hugging the front wing :lol: ! I'm 6'1" and have long arms and fingers. Don't think someone with Ronnie Corbett's stature could have done it this way!

This was the point where the main swearing happened!
WAINY

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Long pry bar is the answer ;)
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

wainy wrote:Looked like I was hugging the front wing :lol: ! I'm 6'1" and have long arms and fingers.
Ive hugged them MANY a time, it does look like that!

Well done, Sorry, I put up its direction just incase you'd lost its direction of travel..

As people have done before that I know..

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so do your knuckles drag on the ground when walking TEA HE

regards malcolm
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

Not if I can help it! Having said that, I've never had any trouble fitting behind the wheel of an old Alfa (short legs, long arms). However, I am not related too closely to a gibbon, in spite of what some people might say :lol: !

Must stop calling my daughter "little monkey" when she does something mischievous or she'll get a complex!
WAINY