Citroen ZX plip type

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gnerk
My Cars:

Citroen ZX plip type

Post by Gnerk »

Hi all,

Long time no post!

Well, the time finally came for the Mrs Gnerk's horrible Ford Ka and we consined it to the great scrap heap in the sky (£200 for an X reg).

I found a Citroen ZX diesel (no turbo) for £450 for her. But I beat the guy down (!) to £410 and since then myself and Dad have done the cambelt and associated pulleys plus all filter and oil. The car starts on the button as they say and runs well. Clutch is nice and light (compared to my Xantia which has lead me to develop Herculean thigh muscles) but the bite point is high and it will slip a little if pressed. I will adjust the cable soon (the wife's driving doesn't test it to the same extent as mine, so it isn't slipping "in service").

It looks like previous owner has lost the keys and plib, so we have two sets of duplicate keys which operate the central locking. I understand that I can buy a plip from e.g. eBay and reprogram it to the car (there's a thread on here somewhere - I read it the other day). The only thing is - does anyone know whether the N-reg series 2 takes the same single -kind-of button sqaure type IR plip as the older series 1 ZX.

My previous ZX's were the series 1 and used the old plip type. My sister had a P-reg and I seem to remember it had a different plib - again single button, but this time the thing actually had a proper button rather than just a "press area" of the original type.

Are there any differences between the two or is it all cosmetic? I just need to know the right kind to buy from eBay etc.

Many thanks for your advice,

Ian

ps - no key immobiliser in Mrs Gnerk's car, if that helps! (or any alarm as far as I can tell). It's an N-reg Avantage diesel model.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Bad news, ZX plips DO NOT Program like the Xantias... They use the harder BX and XM type plip were they need to be HARD SET on the PCB boards..

Im not certain though if a Xantia Reciver and PLIP key will work in a ZX, Ive never tried it..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm not sure if the keys changed on later ZXs, but I suspect an N reg will be on the original type. If the key is a traditional one cut on 2 sides only, it will be the original type - the later types (if used on ZXs) are cruciform and cut on 4 sides (a la Xantia). As noted the earlier type are hard coded, and you need matching plips and recevier. I just happen to have a pair of working plips (as of August 08 when I took them off our ZX) and matched receiver - and also a CL controller in case the coding is in there, if you are interested.... 8)
Richard W
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

If Gnerk's not interested then I am :wink: :)

I'm a receiver and plip short for my ZX 1.9 D. I've swapped a few round over the years and as long as you have a matching pair all is well.

edit: Just read this in the thread and I think I'm coming across as a bit rude. Sorry! I don't mean to be. :roll:
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

If the plip has stopped working or you have lost it you could just get a remote central locking controller & wire it into the central locking circuit that the car already has....an easy solution without much expense.

Something like ......

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/car-sec ... 5-003.html

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer