Ride Height Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Ride Height Problem

Post by Old-Guy »

When I set the height control to Intermediate (one back from Normal) the rear (I think) only goes up to Service High. So I have to wait for maybe 20 seconds for it to settle back to Normal before moving off. Not only irritating, but there's the risk that I'll forget to wait, drop off the curb and do some damage.

I do fairly regular Citarobics, the height control mechanisms were liberally greased with proper white grease at the last service (Feb), all 6 spheres renewed and LHM changed etc.etc. September 2008.

I can only think that the rear height control mechanism is sticking; so wash off the grease, give it a good clean and free-up and re-grease?

As there's an opportunity this week to use a wheel lift or a 2-post chassis lift for a couple of hours, I'd welcome any other ideas on what might be wrong.

Thanks

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've had both the front and rear HCs on my Xant off, soaked cleaned and greased so they look like new and intermediate is still service high. I put it down to needing more exact tweaking in the length of the Height Control rod and maybe the placement of the HC on the linkage as there are also adjustments here. Would be nice to have the intermediate working so I've got a little bit of comfort when trundling through floods.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Don't make work for yourself :)
They were designed to be like that :roll:
I have read on the net somewhere that some citroen dealers would do a modification to add an extra intermediate height position on the control, but I don't think you will get anywhere by playing about with the height correctors.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Oops - hoist with my own whatsit (height control) :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've now done what I should have done in the first place - look back at the notes I made in January when I had this 'problem' before. I don't have a 'problem' (nor probably do you) - here's what I wrote: -

"To check the suspension heights ‘properly’ by the book, means getting under the car when it is on ramps and presumes that the suspension is working properly. In real life, the probabilities are that the ride height is correct or would be if the suspension was working properly.

Having overhauled the suspension hydraulics (all new spheres, cleaned and lubricated the height control mechanisms, changed the LHM and bled the brakes) only 3 months ago, I became slightly concerned that there didn’t seem to be any difference between the Intermediate and Maximum settings. With the the car on a proper wheel lift, I took opportunity to check the Normal suspension heights as per the BoL – nicely within tolerance. This of course didn’t mean that the suspension was working properly on the Intermediate setting, so I measured the front and rear heights at each height setting to see what the differences are. The interesting point was that in doing this, I found that with a near empty tank and no load, on Intermediate the rear suspension first rises to Maximum and only settled to Intermediate when I bounced the tow-ball and then waited 20-30 seconds for the height control valve to respond.

The following may help other owners as a quick and easy way of checking that the suspension heights at each setting are about right. The only 'tools' are a tape measure and pen and paper, and doesn't involve grovelling on the ground: -

1. The tyre pressures must be correct (checked weekly anyway).
2. Park the car on a reasonably smooth, level, flat surface with the hand-brake on, engine idling and the front wheels pointing straight ahead.
3. Set the suspension control lever between the front seats to Minimum (fully forward). Let the car settle fully then try bouncing the car at each end; it should feel rock solid. Measure and note the vertical distance from the ground to the top of the front and rear wheel arches.
4. Move the lever back one position to Normal. Wait for the suspension to stop moving; vigorously bounce the front and rear of the car a couple of times. Re-measure and note the wheel arch heights.
5. Move the lever back one more position to Intermediate then proceed as above for Normal.
6. Move the lever fully back to Maximum then proceed as for minimum.

The figures (mm) recorded for my 95MY Estate on 185/65 R 15 Michelin Energy tyres were: -

Lever Setting Front Rear

Minimum 593 535
Difference 62 50
Normal 655 585
Difference 62 90
Intermediate 717 675
Difference 16 15
Maximum 733 690

These figures are only a rough guide, and you would need to adjust for the differences between your Minimum figures and mine – effectively the front and rear rolling radii."

As you can see from the table above, the difference between Intermediate and Service High is little more than ½ inch.

The tank is currently less than a quarter full, and I raised the suspension with just me on board and the car stationary; it makes it easier for my elderly father-in-law to get in, and it means he doesn't crash-land in the front passenger seat with enough force to make me fear for it's springs!

When I service the car this week, I'll fill the tank take the measurements again and report back. THEN I'll post a complete write-up on my site.

My thanks to those who've taken the trouble to respond.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom