Hydraulic pump woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BSM
My Cars:

Hydraulic pump woes

Post by BSM »

Hi all, after having a leak that turned into a pump rebuild that would have meant a new pump had it not been for Citrojim and citroenxm (thanks again Jim and citroenxm, Nik said Hi :-) ) my girlfriends parents have the car back...but

The brakes are a lot better (I'm told) but the power steering is intermittant dependant on revs?? Most of the time it seems not to work at all.

The usual accessory belt tensioner seized meant I had to work the pump off without be able to adjust or fit a new belt so I thought it might be the belt slipping?? It seems after they had a belt fitted by the local garage it's just the same and the garage have recommended a new pump...thing is the car is worth two balloons and a goldfish and i think they'd be better getting a newer Xantia....

My question is, how can the PAS be not working if the brakes are better and the suspension does it's thing as it should??

IF i need to sort a new pump does anyone know a good place to get one exchange without the stupid prices I see quoted on fleabay?

Many thanks

BSM
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Simon,

The basic reason is that the pump is two pumps in one. The PAS side is entirely separate to the side that does suspension and brakes. The PAS side has six pistons and the suspension/brake side has two. Your broken spring/piston was on the two piston side.

The auxillary belt would have to be very loose to affect the pump so much but if it is rally flapping around this might well account for it as the PAS is very hydraulically "hungry". A loose belt also risks flying off, smashing the cambelt covers, tangling with the cambelt and wrecking the engine so be vigilant!

If it is the pump, you're welcome to the one I robbed the spring from. That was off a late 1.9TD so should be OK although I cannot guarantee it is 100% good.

You know my number so if you want to try it, get in touch!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BSM
My Cars:

Post by BSM »

I think we're looking at getting either a recon or new...there is one on ebay for a 2.0 petrol for £80 would this fit or is it a different configuration to the TD one?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Unlikely Simon, they are all have subtle differences.

Best to give Martin at Pleiades a call. he's only up in Sawtry and he will check and recondition your pump for you.

That's a lot better than taking a chance on an eBay pump. As I say, you're welcome to the one I have here to try.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...