Xantia - change driving seat?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LD

Xantia - change driving seat?

Post by LD »

I have a Xantia TD SX, and would like to replace the driver's seat with one from a Peugeot 504, which had to be scrapped. Mechanically this is not too difficult, but it appears that the driving seat on modern cars is linked electronically to the airbags.

I've discovered that there is a "magic box" which will fool the electronics into thinking that a genuine Xantia seat is present - does anyone know anything about this?

I suffer from a "healed" duodenal ulcer, and feel uncomfortable as soon as I sit in the Xantia. A wedge shaped cushion helps, as does a towel to support my back; but the old 504 seat is so much better! I can drive for six hours in that without the slightest discomfort.

So why did I buy a Xantia in the first place? Because it's the only "modern" car with half-way decent suspension!

Thanks in advance.
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Why not fit a set of Xantia electric seats as they adjust every which way and then more again, and if yours is a S2 you can keep the side airbags. Also you won't have a problem with the seat belt clip mounting.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi LD

The electrics and pyrotechnic charges under the seats are the pre tensioners for the seatbelts, they are fitted to all air bag equiped cars and are there to detonate and pull you back tightly into the seat just prior to the air bag detonating. Without them you will be thrown forward by any impact onto the airbag as it detonates which will cause can cause far more injury than they will prevent, you will understand if you have ever detonated an air bag just how much damage they can do to you were they to go off in your face.
I would go with DickieG's suggestion and keep airbag compatable seats whatever choice you make.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wonder if an XM seat will fit?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

ha ah ah haaaaa I know the answer to that Peter!!

and

Yes
They do!!!!

The XM seats do fit BUT! Firstly the Xantia seat runners need swapping over, and the xantia seat runner DO fit the XM Seat, but you have to retain the electric seat back recline, but the rest, forward back, and height goes manual... and then if you have a sunroof, open the sunroof because you'll need to if you have a long or tall back, because it makes the seats position SOOOOOO much higher!!

I did this in an M reg Xantia LX, fitted an XM cloth seat, what a damm difference ! It was soo comfortable!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Re: Xantia - change driving seat?

Post by citroenxm »

LD wrote: So why did I buy a Xantia in the first place? Because it's the only "modern" car with half-way decent suspension!

Thanks in advance.
you should of bought a Series 1.5 XM, IE: from around K 1993 to 1994 M reg model!

The BEST seats, and the same suspension!!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I thought you would probably know that Paul :D And, yes, the XM is the super deluxe version of the Xantia. If you are going to have all the hassle of running a hydropnumatic car it might just as well be an XM. 8)

Peter
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

LD, where in the country are you? Maybe near enough to someone to try a Xantia electric seat? They are very good.

You could also consider upgrading to a Xantia VSX or Exclusive with Hydroactive suspension, as that should beat your current car for smoothness.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

xantia_v6 wrote:
You could also consider upgrading to a Xantia VSX or Exclusive with Hydroactive suspension, as that should beat your current car for smoothness.
UNLESS the blessed electro valves are messing about as they are on my V6, I hate them!

STICK to SX trim, less to go wrong, just as smooth with the correct spheres

Sorry Xantia V6, but its what I find, XM's the same! But Series 1.5 systems seem best (On XM's)

I have just NOT found a good Hydractive system yet, and Ive had 3 VSX cars, and know of a couple of Exclusives..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

LD, I suggest you try sitting in an XM; as someone with a bad back I find the Xantia seats dreadful, however the XM seats (like the rest of the car) are superb. If you feel unable to flog the Xantia and upgrade to a XM, fitting XM seats to your Xantia could be a good solution.

Should you still feel the 504 seats are the only way forwards, if it were me I would remove the airbag (perhaps fitting an early non-airbag steering wheel) and lose the pre-tensioners. Possible insurance ramifications however, if something happened and they realised that you had thrown away a good bit of the OE safety equipment...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
LD

Post by LD »

Not a case of "flattery will get me anywhere", but this really must be one of the best forums on the internet - so much expert advice, given so freely (literally). I'm grateful for all this input - apologies that I can't respond to everyone.

xantia_v6: I'm in Poole, Dorset - part of the Bournemouth conurbation. If anyone is near enough for me to try a Xantia electric seat I'd love to. Is that the type they fitted to the VSX models? (Perhaps SX stands for Special Xantia and VSX for Very Special Xantia?!).

jonathan_dyane: Particularly helpful to have a comment from someone with a bad back. Peter N lives quite near in Charmouth, and was very helpful in response to my first post, when I enquired about different types of suspension spheres. He gave up an afternoon to compare my Xantia with his XM; I subsequently had comfort spheres fitted, and find them a great improvement. It seems that Peter now has four XMs! So perhaps I should talk to him nicely, and see if we can arrange another visit to compare the seats.

I hadn't thought of removing the airbag system, though it's an obvious possibility now that you mention it. My niece is a paramedic, forever pulling people out of car accidents (how do people manage a job like that?); she tells me that airbags improve one's chance of surviving an accident by about a third. The Peugeot 504 doesn't have them of course, but it is immensely strong. A Datsun once ran into the back of mine (driver didn't brake soon enough); collided with the towing bracket, pushed in the radiator. The Datsun was a write-off; the 504 had just a slight scratch. I'd rather not lose the airbags if I needn't.

Incidentally I tried a GS years ago when my Morris Oxford estate needed replacing, and was very impressed with the suspension; how would you rate it in comparison with more modern cars - by Citroen and everyone else?
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

LD wrote: Incidentally I tried a GS years ago when my Morris Oxford estate needed replacing, and was very impressed with the suspension; how would you rate it in comparison with more modern cars - by Citroen and everyone else?
It is a long time since I owned a GS but my recollection of it is that the suspension was superior to the BX and Xantia that followed.
All were better than the current C5.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi LD

The XM you saw when you came over has had its airbag tested - my wife wrote it off a couple of months ago :( so I have some spare seats if you want to try one.

I have not owned a GS, I have had three CX's though, I have also owned a Morris Oxford, in fact several and I can confirm that the ride was even better than the XM - but that was on crossply tyres . I also had a peugeot 404, one of the first reasonably performing diesels, you had to wear ear defenders though.

Peter
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

As I think I mentioned, I suffer a bad lower left side back, and driving a Xantia cause immense pain down my left side and leg.. after a while on a journey, however, I NEVER get any of this in the XM.. for two reasons.

Firstly, the XM Seats have a fantasic seat support, lumber or not!
Secondly, the seat position is high enough for me to sit up enough to have my legs at a certain angle which keeps my back happy..

Unfortunally, the Xantia has a too flat driving position, meaning my legs are at a bad angle for my back and hence the pain after a long journey - Im lucky at the moment, the Xantia TD Im useing has not got a collapsed or flattened seat so I sit JUST and only just high enough...

The V6 of course has electric adjustment, meaning that you can actually TILT the seat, which brings the front up high enough not to cause me any problems...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The great thing about XM seats for me is the length, most other cars seem to have seats so short that leave my knees flapping about, not at all comfortable. Like Paul I find the XM seats very comfortable on a long journey, I can even start off with backache and feel better the further I drive!

Peter.