Pipe Routing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AbangCorp
My Cars:

Pipe Routing

Post by AbangCorp »

I have a problem with hydraulic pipe. I dont know if it is burst or what (hairline crack - as per my other mechanic). I have repair this area 2 times. The pipe connecting lhm pump to accumulator (sized 12mm flare)

Normally I have some info from my mechanics.

1. the pipe fitted without original seal (RM16 per piece here)
2. the pipe is not installed with it's holder in place (3 of them)

recently after second repair
1. suspected still using not the original seal - i am about to buy one. Seems i cannot trust my normal mechanic anymore. I need to DIY this time round

2. He again did not installed it with the holder - I am about to do it myself.
But i dont know what is the original setup, because it seems the holder screw hole is pretty much close to the fixing area.

Maybe if you guys expert out there have factory fitted pipe, please guide me with a picture or something. I have no idea is it to bend it or what. Afraid if it could break anything.

Thanks in advance
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

quite offten the main metal feed from the pump will crack or fracture, if the pipe is not attatched by all its mountting brackets,

also if this is an original black powder coated steel pipe it is best to bend as little as possible, as this can crack or fracture the pipe,

most XANTIAS do have a standerd flair on this pipem, and not the usual citroen type end with pipe seals,

if it has a standerd flair do not fit a seal, as it will end up entering the hydraulic system and causeing all kinds of havouk/damage

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It can also fail due to a flat accumulator sphere, it causes a shock wave every time the pump cuts in and fractures the pipe where it fits into the pump.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I have this problem , have replaced that pipe 5 times , replaced with my own flexible high pressure hose and that has burst 7 times !!
The accumulator sphere is ok , and everything else seems to be ok but it still happens !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

Dear Peter N

I think that would be the root cause. Checked the pipe, seems to be okay, i do think i need to test it out first.

But yes, my accumulator is long overdue.

But have check another symptom, my mechanic fitted not the original seal even though he was he want to pin point that it is neccessity to have fitted with original one.

Peter N,

does that mean lhm pump feed high pressure in where it should be stored by accumulator. The more rapid it was, causing the more said shock to weaken the fitting

Hmm, still learning
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When the accumulator is working properly it cushions the shock of the sudden increase in pressure. Change the sphere before you fit another pipe. I know from experience with my first XM - many years ago, I think it cost me three pipes before I discovered what the problem was.

Peter
AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

Appreciate it so much. Thanks

That i will do.
AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

quite offten the main metal feed from the pump will crack or fracture, if the pipe is not attatched by all its mountting brackets,

also if this is an original black powder coated steel pipe it is best to bend as little as possible, as this can crack or fracture the pipe,

most XANTIAS do have a standerd flair on this pipem, and not the usual citroen type end with pipe seals,

if it has a standerd flair do not fit a seal, as it will end up entering the hydraulic system and causeing all kinds of havouk/damage

regards malcolm
hmm,

my part arrive next week
but now, i do think i still need the picture of where the mounting bracket should be located, pipe should be routed

can somebody take a snapshot of your pipes?
pleeeease...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Is this what you are looking for?

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

AbangCorp wrote:i still need the picture of where the mounting bracket should be located, pipe should be routed

can somebody take a snapshot of your pipes?
pleeeease...
I guess you have a Xantia (?) Is it petrol or diesel? Although the pipes are standard their route, fixing and length are model specific.

Below pic is from mine, where p-clips are seen in the alternator area:

DickieG has sent very good, detailed photos in this thread --> Hdi engine pictures and I think
the 3rd pic shows best the HP pump <--> Accumulator pipe with the P-clips.
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

Hmmh, A lil bit different

but yes, that kind of picture
before that, let me show you my pipe i got

thanks ya vertega & dickie, though i need more
beginner diyer

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

AbangCorp wrote:Hmmh, A lil bit different

but yes, that kind of picture
before that, let me show you my pipe i got

thanks ya vertega & dickie, though i need more
beginner diyer
What engine do you have in your Xantia? The routing of that pipe varies depending upon what engine is fitted.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

Xantia 1.9TD CBU ’95 (hydractive, 8 sphere version)

VIN chassis no. : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

AbangCorp wrote:Xantia 1.9TD CBU ’95 (hydractive, 8 sphere version)
Unfortunately I can't help you with a picture from my TD VSX as its parked 20 miles away from me at the moment and I'm unlikely to get there for at least another week or so, hopefully someone else may be able to help you out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

Dont worry dickie, i can wait

it is a start for a beginner like me

i do think i want to make easy for anyone same like what you have helped me

say haynes manual, it does really left out so many things before one can understand by one go. The person who read it still need to experience where and how . . .

I really appreciate people who provide picture to other people. i really help for people with lower confident level like me

i changed two rear sphere with one friendly mechanics which never did a conti car before. He have guts especially cracking the sphere out & opening the bleed screw . . . but on the other hand, i got all the correct method in my head, told him one by one exactly what you guys told me. thanks to all the sphere changing & lhm change thread . . .

after take a look carefully what he did, i dont thing it is to be fear so much... i am very worried by cracking the sphere, the whole setup will fall down, even we have secured it on axle stand

i am also worried, to open the bleed screw if something will burst out or something

confident level...

for this pipe issue, i maybe pushing the pipe by force to where the bracket is, but that i am not sure