Xsara headlight bulb replacement help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Road_Hog
My Cars:

Xsara headlight bulb replacement help

Post by Road_Hog »

I have to replace the nearside headlight bulb on my wife's 2002 1.4 saloon Xsara. Two questions, are Halfords okay for prices or is a motor factor or Citroen dealership better.

Main question is, how do I access the bulb holder, can I get to it from the engine compartment or do I have to start dismantling the headlight unit to get to unit?

Thanks in advance.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Xsara headlight bulb replacement help

Post by myglaren »

Road_Hog wrote:I have to replace the nearside headlight bulb on my wife's 2002 1.4 saloon Xsara. Two questions, are Halfords okay for prices or is a motor factor or Citroen dealership better.

Main question is, how do I access the bulb holder, can I get to it from the engine compartment or do I have to start dismantling the headlight unit to get to unit?

Thanks in advance.
A small motor factor will almost certainly be cheaper than Halfords - I buy a pair of headlamp bulbs for less than the cost of a single one at Halfords.
If you ask nicely they will often fit them for no extra charge too :)

As for fitting to the Xsara, can't help with that specifically but they are generally quite simple, remove the cap from the rear of the lamp unit by twisting 1/4 turn anti-clockwise , reach in and undo the clip, withdraw the old bulb on it's wires, swap the new one into place being careful not to touch the glass envelope and refit it to the unit and reattach the clip, replace the dust cover and away you go.

Here is a generic guide
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

You can get to the bulbs on the xsara II without having to remove the bumper or anything silly like that.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xsara headlight bulb replacement help

Post by wheeler »

Road_Hog wrote:Two questions, are Halfords okay for prices or is a motor factor or Citroen dealership better.
Halfords prices for everything is criminal unless you have a trade card. Some examples are a pack of 2 capless sidelight bulbs retail at £2.49 with a trade card you get them for 52p :shock: . A standard 063 car battery is £60 but with a trade card its only £38. I dont know how they dont get embarrassed when they ask for the money at the checkout.
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

How did you get on ?
I was thinking of removing the lamps themselves and was indebted when
JohnD wrote:You won't get the headlights off without removing the bumper. Also the cross member will have to be removed because one of the bolts is behind it. See my piccy:-
Headlamp bulbs can be replaced with lamps in situ. It's the sidelight bulbs that can't be reached. It's worth doing both sides.
I came to the conclusion JohnD was quite correct and did not bother as to the bulbs it looked as though you need the hands the size of a five year old child.
Road_Hog
My Cars:

Post by Road_Hog »

Sorry, a bit late in replying to this. No, you don't have to remove the bumper, although it is a bit fiddly. I found this link which helped a lot. I had to break the clip holding the bulb as I just could get leverage to it, to unhook it properly. http://rolfje.wordpress.com/2006/03/11/ ... oen-xsara/