Xantia Heater Matrix Pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Xantia Heater Matrix Pipe

Post by BrianM »

Does anyone know if the pipes that go onto the heater matrix on a xantia td are shared with any of the other citroens or peugeots ?. There appears to be a small leak from it and last time I touched one it more or less disintegrated in my hand !.

Thanks

Brian

97 Xantia TD 230k :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Not so far as I know Brian but a good 'ish universal replacement is the pipes from a Berlingo Van.

I have in the past used whatever connector I can find and splice it into the existing heater matrix pipes using 19mm straight joints available from factors. You can also use 22mm copper water pipe for the joints but only if the hoses are well lubricated and soft.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Some Xsara's are fitted with them. Thats where mine came from. Not picasso though just hatchbacks. i had to cut the pipes down and fit on part of my old pipes but the plastic bit was in good unfragile condition which is the most important thing :)

Pugs seem to use a different setup where the flange is metal so the rubber pipe push's onto it.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

There seems to be a bit of a drip from the plastic ends where it goes into the matrix - mind you its not that easy to see - the last one that broke just snapped completely around leaving the piece still in the matrix - I'd prefer to have one ready just in case !

Brian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It may be just needing new O rings on the connector tails there Brian.

Part No. 6464 V1 from a dealer....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

After the last one I fiddled with I'm afraid to put my hands anywhere near the joints without having a backup ready !

Brian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

BrianM wrote:After the last one I fiddled with I'm afraid to put my hands anywhere near the joints without having a backup ready !
I quite agree Brian :twisted: Of all the jobs on a Xantia, the disconnecting of the heater matrix really gives me the heebie jeebies and I'll do anything to avoid it if I can.

Gareth (Xantiaman583) had the best idea when he lifted his Activa engine out recently. He disconnected the heater pipes at the other ends and left the elbow well alone. Not sure how easy that is to do on a 1.9TD now. I have a feeling the turbo piping and manifolds may get in the way a bit.
Jim

leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

Having gone the expensive route, I'd definitely recommend getting the cheapest that will fit and splicing in the pipes.
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I HAVE A number of XANTIA TD Heater pipes here!!

Have you not seen my recent post, 1997 xantia breaking EVERYTHING except engine available, so thats all pipe work..

Ive also a few from other cars that have been and gone, getting the Knack of removing them now :lol: :lol:

Jim,
Its a squeeze behind the inlet manifold, but possible... the hardest part is removing the damm awfull SQUEEZE Hose clips... I Hate them!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: the hardest part is removing the damm awfull SQUEEZE Hose clips... I Hate them!
I know them well :twisted: :twisted: For the ones found on coolant pipes (with the tangs) you can't beat a good pair of pipe grips. These are my favourites although Bahco call them water pump pliers.

For the little spring clips on the pipes going to the LHM reservoir etc. you can't beat the special Laser tool for the job. Makes the whole business far more pleasant :D
Jim

bhupindra

Post by bhupindra »

Hi I had the same prob, if you have the hose you can seperate the plastic section, all the hoses are different on most of the vehicles if you go to s scrap yard find one that will fit into the matrix and use the old hose and connect them to the new unit bu using jubilee clips, the right diameter can be found by going to b&q and finding the section in b&q that sells the rods for curtain rails/clothes rods and using a pipe cutter and then using that to join the pipes. My new part takes ages to get from citroen, still waiting for the part that I ordered from them for the heater matrix. Although my system was pressure tested and the hoses didn't leak ait etc or coolant when being pressured. its a small bodge job but it does hold, just take the plastic bit into a scrap yard and find the same peice that fits into the heater matrix. Hope that helps worked for me and cost 14 quid including the rod from b&q.