Electric window woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Khal
My Cars:

Electric window woes

Post by Khal »

Not my first post but it has been a while and I lost my details, anyway...

My M reg Xantia 2.0i auto has been giving my woeful electrical skills a bit of a challenge. Having just successfully completed the blower mod all the electric windows packed up. After much effort I have managed to (I think) narrow the problem down to the the common supply in the engine compartment. The logic is as follows:

The problem is with both front and rear windows which have separate fuses in the car, not enough power is getting to either to even light the switches, both the relays are working and using a separate supply to the switch side of the relays makes everything work.

I have looked at the loom where it runs below the radiator which seems to be clean and dry. The Haynes manual wiring diagram shows supplies coming from a common connection from the supply box BB10 to fuses F29 for the front and F10 for the rear.

Can anyone tell me where BB10 is and how I can get to it?

Thanks, Keith.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Could BB10 be where the large spade fuses are located in the engine bay, alongside the fusebox on the nearside wing? All located under the long black plastic cover just behind the battery, where there's also space for 3 relays.

Good luck
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Khal
My Cars:

Update - Xantia window woes

Post by Khal »

Further investigation has shown that I have two problems.

For the front windows there is no continuity between F29 and the 6021 relay terminal and with the ignition off there is about 10v from the relay terminal block going to the window switches.

For the rear windows there is no supply to the F10 fuse.

So it seems there are some problems in the wiring at the back of the fuse box. Has anbody had any experience of getting to this wiring? I have pulled out the fuse box a little way but there is very little space to do anything between there and the relays etc.

Cheers

Keith
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hope you're not enterring a minefield here!

Not sure if it's relevant, but a search for wiring splice will throw up (amongst others) a thread started by darragh, titled "wire from engine to dash". This was concerning the lighting circuitry, but makes reference to access to the fuse box, the inaccessibility of the bulkhead connector, and the loom in the offside wing - hope this helps :)

Looking at a very similar fuse box off a peugot (406?), there are about 10 plugs into the back of the fusebox, which ought to unclip if you must, but I would suggest you don't contemplate going so far as to split the actual fusebox itself.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Khal,

I'm about to warm the scanner up for some wiring diagrams I promised Addo. Would you like the ones relevant to your issue?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's the circuits:

Sorry for the poor quality, my 1995MY circuit books are falling to bits around me. Over use I guess :lol:

Front Electric Windows Circuit

Front Electric Windows Harness Diagram

Front Electric Windows Component Locations

Rear Electric Windows Circuit

Rear Electric Windows Harness Diagram

Rear Electric Windows Component Locations

The splices previously mentioned will be clear to see on the harness diagrams. They are boxes that have a number like "E045" with a number of wires jointed. Although they are schematically shown outside the harness, they are actually wrapped up inside. Most problems of this nature are caused by brakes in the notorious 10AV harness that runs between the engine fuse box BMF1 and the big interconnect on the OS A post; this harness runs beneath the radiator, gets leaked upon and rots.

Hope the diagrams help a little...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Khal
My Cars:

Post by Khal »

Thanks both for the advice.

I have the wiring diagrams from the Haynes Manual but the loom and component diagrams look really helpful.

I think the front window problem is definitely inside the bulkhead but the rear window may also be the run in the engine compartment although as I have said the cable run under the radiator is very clean and dry.

I will report back when I get a chance to have a look at the weekend.

Cheers

Keith
Khal
My Cars:

Fixed - Xantia window woes

Post by Khal »

Despite my earlier posts the problem for both front and back windows was the feed to the back of the console fusebox from the battery. They are on separate feeds and the loom under the radiator is dry and in good shape so suspicion falls on the connector through the bulkhead #-o . I did not feel up to getting to that so...

I spliced the black connector feed to the ignition switch before it goes through the switch then plugged straight into the console fuse box to F10 for the rear windows and F21 for the front. All via an inline 30A fuse and all is well :lol:

I have no doubt that something else will die if the rot spreads but I will deal with that as and when. Thanks for the advice.

Keith
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Well done on sorting that out Keith :D :D

Now on a more downbeat note........... :( :(

Whilst the loom under the radiator maybe ok the rest of it that runs up to the bulkhead connector runs up through the inner o/s/f wing and any water/condensation etc will and has caused serious havoc (my VSX for one :evil: ) so be prepared for fun and games if you venture in there :) :)

Will post a link up for the bulkhead connectors etc in a mo

Have a look through this Topic Maybe of some use :)

Colin
Last edited by admiral51 on 06 Dec 2009, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Colin,

Congratulations!!! You have just made the 200,000th post on the FCF :D :D
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Totally unintentional,sorry to steal someone elses thunder but........

8) 8) 8) :D :D =D> =D>

Colin
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

What, no speach? :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Is there an award offered for this prestigious achievement?
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Deanxm wrote:What, no speach? :lol:

D
Still scribbling notes as to whom i should thank for this wonderful honour but not sure how to list the whole Forum Memberlist :lol: :lol:

Colin
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

myglaren wrote:Is there an award offered for this prestigious achievement?
I believe Jim is polishing a seized bearing from a 4HP20 as we speak :wink:
But given the title of the thread, I think a faulty window mechanism from a mk2 Xantia might be more appropriate :P