Xantia, they're "not all that"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Xantia, they're "not all that"

Post by boristhespie »

Okay just joking. While looking for a C5 which suits my driving long journeys many suggested I get a Xantia.

What's so special about these compared to C5?
C'est pas possible!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia, they're "not all that"

Post by CitroJim »

boristhespie wrote: What's so special about these compared to C5?
They're easily repaired for one thing and have much less electronics to aggravate you. Lots of knowledge of them on here. Service items and most spares are cheap and easily available.

They look good, they go well, cost of ownership is low, they're tough, they ride and handle a treat and will run, with easy TLC, to stratospheric mileages. Their interiors are nice and comfy (especially leather) and good ones are not dear.

They also get under your skin :roll:

You won't regret a good Xantia. In my opinion far superior to the 406 even though they share a lot of underpinnings.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

CitroJim have said it all 8)

I have decided long ago that I'll skip C5 model completely (no offense, it's my opinion, personal choice) ...
If one day I have to buy a new car it'll definitely be Xantia '00 or '01.

Reasons:
- design (XM is another model which I like very much)
- easy maintenance (amateur weekend mechanic like me managed well with the help of FCF :) )
- reliability, power, consumption (long distance traveler, also abroad country visits)

300k and +++ :lol:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with all of the above and the XM is even better :D , I wouldn't run anything else.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

To be fair. All this relatively easy maintenance is in comparison to newer and complicated cars with even less room and more electronics.

But............Xantias aint no walk in the park IMO.

Heater Matrix, belts tensioners, glow plug access, rad and bottom bayonet hoses, turbo accsess, bottom ball joints, clutch and clutch clip etc etc :lol:

Far better looking than C5 though. I`ve looked at them from every angle .....estate and hatchback. Even shot up alongside them on Motorway....then cut in front to view them in mirror. Undertook them to view nearside. Nope! try as I might, like the Discovery 3 that thing is Fugly :shock: Maybe it will grow on me?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd agree the Xantia is a better ride and more comfortable, better looking and as said, lower cost of ownership.

The latter may change with parts becoming scarcer in future but will hardly exceed the cost of C5 ownership.

I thought that the C5 would be an improvement on the Xantia but can't say that it is.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

lexi wrote:that thing is Fugly :shock: Maybe it will grow on me?
It is, and it won't

The all new C5 is soooo much better looking than the original. Even the late facelift failed to improve things IMO. Equalled in ugliness only by the the truly awful Vauxhall Belmont :wink:

Gammy
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

technicaly the belmont was not a singular vehicle, if i remember correctly from the front it was an Astra, in the middle to rear quarter it was a nova saloon and at the back it had got totaly confused and just sort of ended..................with some lights..................as a school boy i remember my father coming to pick me up in his new Belmont company car, i think we both carry the mental scares to this day.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just a qualification of 'easy to repair'. Niether the Xantia or XM are easy to work on, but it possible to repair them - without thousands of pounds worth of equipment, secret codes from the manufacturers and a trip to the garage every time a warning light comes on, and you can use your normal car repair tools and make up what you haven't got, and whats more they are considerably more reliable and durable than anything they make now.

Even if you cant do your own repairs there will be far more independent mechanics that can repair them than can repair modern cars and the cost will be a lot less.

On top of that you have a car that is far more comfortable and roomy (XM) than the majority of new cars and 50 mpg form a 2.1 engine, driven sensibly.

Did I mention that I like them?

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It just kills me when people attempt to justify their spending heaps more on purchasing a new car - the injection of a far lesser cash sum in NEW parts and experienced technicians would yield a happy result.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

You still find one owner Xantias with low miles and good service histories at bargain prices.

In the summer I picked up one just like that (Year 2000 90Hdi saloon forte with 38000 miles). Just £1600!

Always 55mpg or better. Good load carrier. Smooth, comfortable and quiet. No exhaust filter.

I might have done better with a bit more luck (Exclusive estate 110Hdi would have been nice.................). But I could not be happier, bearing in mind the finances I have to buy and run a car.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

addo wrote:It just kills me when people attempt to justify their spending heaps more on purchasing a new car - the injection of a far lesser cash sum in NEW parts and experienced technicians would yield a happy result.
Bang on Addo. They will drop more on depreciation in one year than they could ever spend in 3 on their old car. They never think of that depreciation as being "their" money. Add up the dealer service bills to honour the so called "warranty" and could add to another thousand quid,

You always pay out when you don`t use your brain or your own hands :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Boris

I would agree with all of the positive comments above on Xantiae.

I seem to remember that you need reliable, economical transport for a long daily commute?

So what about Gareth's 'Activa'd' Xantia 1.9TD that he's offering for £550 with recent history and pictures on this For Sale & Wanted thread!

IMHO a much safer (and cheaper) bet than an unknown C5 from an unknown dealer (or fleebay) :shock:

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: But............Xantias aint no walk in the park IMO.

Heater Matrix, belts tensioners, glow plug access, rad and bottom bayonet hoses, turbo accsess, bottom ball joints, clutch and clutch clip etc etc :lol:
That's a fair point lexi :) I'm so used to working on Xantias now that I forget that some jobs are a bit on the challenging side :oops: You've just about named them but may I add to the list the following please:

RH driveshaft intermediate bearing (my particular bête noire)

Activa Alternator :twisted:

A funny thing though, on all models, however impossible a job may first look, it is doable just.

A case in point. Look at your V6 and imagine you have to remove your hydraulic pump. How'd you go about it? You might be surprised... It looks nigh on impossible but in V6 terms, it's actually quite straightforward.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Old-Guy wrote:Boris

I would agree with all of the positive comments above on Xantiae.

I seem to remember that you need reliable, economical transport for a long daily commute?

So what about Gareth's 'Activa'd' Xantia 1.9TD that he's offering for £550 with recent history and pictures on this For Sale & Wanted thread!

IMHO a much safer (and cheaper) bet than an unknown C5 from an unknown dealer (or fleebay) :shock:

Guy
Thanks Guy!

I used the car for the same thing, covering lots of miles in a short time and only needing tyres, brakes and oil changes to keep it going.

I find the C5 ugly too.

It will be going up for more money on ebay. Being in the trade, I've seen some right dogs go for more and I know this sort of car will be rare by next year. Not many have its history behind it, or had so much attention lavished on it. Its also without a doubt the best colour for an S1!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;