xantia spheres - best place to buy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

new or recharged replacement spheres

new
95%
recharged
5%

Total votes: 20

hamster
My Cars:

xantia spheres - best place to buy

Post by hamster »

The sheres on my xantia estate need replacing soon as its starting to get a bit bouncy.

I did the accumilator 12 months ago so that should be ok but I need to do the anti sink and 4 corner spheres.

Where is the best place to get them from?

What are peoples thoughts on using recharged spheres as opposed to new ones? Are they as good? Do they last as long?

I ussually use GSF or euro carparts for my bits but have been looking around for different sphers suppliers.

I just came accross this place who claim to use the same spheres as citroen supply at a fraction of the cost - AEP Direct

Also looking at maybe taking it to some where like westroen and just getting them to do it for me as well as an LHM change. Westroen
They offer a three year warrenty so must be prety confident with their product. Any thoughts?

thanks

Graham
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

In the past, I used Westroen (Manchester), and no complaints. He'd tell you what pressure the old spheres were down to, and you could see the pressure was right on the recharged/exchange spheres.

For the last 5-6 years I've been buying new from GSF, as the price nowadays is similar to a visit to Westroen, but more important for me, I save 60-70 miles going to GSF, and I get a natter with Vince as well. Of course, you've got to fit the spheres yourself, so there's a time element there, but being under the car gives you the opportunity to cast an eye over everything.

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Martin AMTEC spheres from GSF are quite good, they are new not re/con and a reasnoble price

regards malcolm
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I bought mine from GSF. Good price indeed.

Then change them yourself, its easy. If you need a hand then I'm only up the road somewhere :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm a believer in supporting cottage industry where possible. By rushing towards the bright lights of cheapness, we are extinguishing our own spark of resourcefulness. Much as people like Pleiades may like choccy biscuits, they don't pay the rent!

Only new spheres I have bought, replaced damaged ones. They had gone so flat the diaphragms were damaged and regassing popped them. :twisted: It's an impressive noise.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: xantia spheres - best place to buy

Post by Ross_K »

hamster wrote:What are peoples thoughts on using recharged spheres as opposed to new ones? Are they as good? Do they last as long?
Recharging spheres?

I thought it was just DS-driving beardy types and folk down under who did that any more... 8-[ 8-[
ImageImage
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Oh no! Two smackdowns in one post. :lol:

You forgot to add "... and people who punch themselves in the face while refitting a towbar".
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

No offence intended to our antipodean friends of course... :D

Now if you were a Saab-driving university lecturer, that would be a different story
ImageImage
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hmmm...

Ive been a GOOD Belever in GSF spheres HOWEVER - (SORRY VINCE If you read this too) for three reasons from my OWN findings have stopped buying from them.

Firstly, they had raised there prices on there EBAY account..
Secondly, I HAVE had spheres with low pressures in them resulting in a not so soft as expected ride on customer cars.
Three, Spheres have been over a year old, and I do beleve they can loose efficiency standing on a shelf.

Ive started getting them from AEP Direct. The Spheres from AEP are cheaper, and so far the few Ive had from them have been NO OLDER then 3 months..

So, as far as prices go for new ones, its New Spheres for 20 quid each.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

My personal experience of GSF and Pleiades has been excellent with every sphere gassed to the correct pressure whereas my one experience of Westroen was somewhat less favourable. When I buy sphere's from GSF I always buy them from their Heathrow branch and find that they are always no more than just a couple of months old.

I bought a number of NOS sphere's from eBay a couple of years ago which now means that those sphere's are the best part of five years old (maybe more, I'll have to check) but checking them on my sphere pressure tester reveals them to have maintained pressure very close to the original setting which suggests that sphere's lose very little pressure during storage.

I'm now a firm believer that "Anti-sink" hastens the pressure loss in sphere's because a "sinker" left parked overnight will effectively leave a sphere rested and in an "on the shelf state" rather than having the weight of the car pressing against the diaphragm, which may go some way to explaining why sphere's on DS's, CX's BX's appear to last longer than those on Xantia's.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: xantia spheres - best place to buy

Post by DickieG »

Ross_K wrote:I thought it was just DS-driving beardy types and folk down under who did that any more... 8-[ 8-[
Oi! [-X :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I nearly bought a Saab once! What put me off, was the disconnected steering feel and inability of the seller to quantify its fuel consumption.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Ross wrote
"
I thought it was just DS-driving beardy types and folk down under who did that any more... "

good job Richard (DickieG) is not a beardy then,

addo wrote
"while refitting a towbar"."

at least you wernt removeimng it, ecpesecialy if it had dual electrics and the ball still fited,

regards malcolm
hamster
My Cars:

Post by hamster »

Ok. I'm about to order new front, rear and anti sink sheres. Accumilator was done couple of years ago when i got the car but may do that as well.

Can somebody remind me how often i should here it clicking when i listen to it and should i do it at normal ride height or up on full height? Can't remember!
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Normal height, the clicking of the pressure regulator cutting in and out at intervals of more than 30secs indicates a good accumulator. Less than this and it may need replacing.

Good luck! Hope the weather brightens up for you.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate