Well hello

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Well hello

Post by davewithington »

New to the forum.

I've never been without a Citroen for the last 20 odd yeras, first off a GS1220 estate named Claude (who looked like he had been, and looked like a weird ladybird with chocolate brown primer over Geranium Red), then a red 1220 GS saloon, followed by 2 GSA, then my 2CV pickup 9home made, don't get excited), then Reg my 2CV saloon, my wife's 2CVand now - a Xantia.

I've been running a 11A 88" Land Rover for the past 4 years, this expired on Sunday night in a cloud of evil blue smoke (we'd just been to a steam gala so must have felt inspired), so I went lookin for a car on eBay, and came up with the Xantia.

1.9 turbo diesel SVX, in white, with only 105,000 miles on, 4 new tyres, new clutch and 12 months MOT at what I consider a very reasonable price.

Problems? Driver's door logk just rotates, needs a new transmitter key fob, and 3rd gear synchro is weak. Apart from that seems OK

However, I do need a handbook. Anyone got one lying around I can purchase?

Glad to be riding on hydraulics again
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Sounds like a good purchase.

The drivers lock likely just needs a little lubrication of the pins (they rotate like that if a wrong key is fitted)

Assuming it is a VSX it should have hydroactive suspension, and if you are lucky it is working perfectly.

BTW, to get a correct handbook, you had better give the year.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Excellent Dave welcome to the forum. Key might be worn as well if it`s spinning. What a contrast to come from a leafer to Xantia :lol:

Nice low mileage that. New clutch ? You`ve knocked it off. You`ll get four years out of this one as well.

Are you gonna re build the series? Had a few myself and still got a 61 11a waiting a rebuild
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Dave :D

The new clutch is the clue to the weak 3rd synchro. The BE3 gearbox in yours uses old-fashioned cone-type synchro hubs and these, being made of soft alloy, are a bit delicate if abused. This often happens if the clutch (more usually the infamous clutch clip) goes and someone tries to ram it into gear. So long as the synchros are not abused, the 'box is otherwise everlasting.

The hub is not tremendously hard to replace but the real killer is the cost of a new one; over £130. If you can live with a weak 3rd then it'll go on for ever and a day. If you do want to do the job, the best way is to acquire a scrap BE3 (they're ubiquitous) and use it as a parts donor. The gearsets don't matter as they all use the same synchro components.

The 'box is also critical in it's taste for oil and must only have 75W/80 gear oil and absolutely nothing else. Most garages don't know this and have even chucked EP90 in there. the 'box hates it and makes gear chages very stiff and this can, in extremis, damage the synchro hubs.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Welcome back to Hydraulics!

Being a Series One, USEUALLY just a new battery should restore operation, if not, use a digital camera to see if the LED on the front is actually transmitting the signal.. The are renown for the legs breaking and getting nothing out.. IF you need a whole new transmitter then they are VERY easy to re program to your car..

Hand book, as mentioned, let us know the year, Ive a GOOD few, of which one I could easilly spare for you!

Locks are a problem but PLEANTY of WD and key jiggering could get it working again, if not, they are easilly removable and strippable, though Im NO GOOD at the stripping part :lol: :D

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

If you do need a transmitter, we used to do them at work...i got one for myself when i got mine. They are genuine Citroen ones too :wink: Like Paul says, very easy to code in.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Happy to be here gents, and floating on fluid.

Yes I will be rebuilding the Land Rover, I've got a spare engine in my workshop to go in, next year though. Nice garden ornament!!

The key fob I have looks like the last owner ran over it with his tractor, so I'll get m'self a new one - doesn't matter then that the drivers lock ain't working because I won't be using it.... However I'm pretty good with locks, had a good few years in the trade.

The car was registered on 27th August 1993 on the L. If there is a handbook going I would like it please.

Gearbox oil was one thing to be checked, I've had problems like this in the past with differing viscosities, we have 4 cars and a bike now.....

The synchro doesn't really bother me too much, I'll possibly change it next year - my friends BX has exactly the same problem, but that's done 190,0000

Not only new clutch but four new tyres and MOT last week. Definite result

Think I've replied to everything
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

welcome dave

were abouts are you,

Paul wrote
"PLEANTY of WD"

naughty naughty Paul you must never use the dreaded WD 40 in locks, firstly it is abrasive and secondly when it gets mixed with water it turns to a pastey putty and cloggs the tumblers up,

you should only use a grafite based lube in locks

orible stuff,

regards malcolm
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I'm in Stoke on Trent

I prefer to take a lock off and strip it unless there's an immediate problem, like it won't unlock

I can lock and unlock at the moment using the passenger door, so I don't think I'll be dismantling an unfamiliar car door in this weather. I should be having a new workshop built next spring, one I can actually get a car into, so it'll keep till then, especially if I can make the remote unlocking work.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

citronut wrote:welcome dave

were abouts are you,

Paul wrote
"PLEANTY of WD"

naughty naughty Paul you must never use the dreaded WD 40 in locks, firstly it is abrasive and secondly when it gets mixed with water it turns to a pastey putty and cloggs the tumblers up,

you should only use a grafite based lube in locks

orible stuff,

regards malcolm
REALLY Malc!

Thats interesting, never knew it was that bad!

Dave,

AN L REG :o , I wonder if its a Sinker, has she an Air bag, and chevrons on the BONNET? Also does she hisssssssssss a lot when the engine is running?

Im pretty sure I have a nice early book, Ill have a look tonight when I get home.

Rgds
Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Does make a funny noise when running, more like a moaning dinosaur than a hiss, so I suspect an early job will be fitting new accumulator and anti sink spheres. Shouldn't be too difficult, done similar before on GS and BX, and I do have the use of a wheel free lift.

Think the chevrons are on the bonnet. Only really seen it in the dark yet as it's not taxed, do that on Saturday hopefully.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

davewithington wrote:I suspect an early job will be fitting new accumulator and anti sink spheres. ....

Think the chevrons are on the bonnet. .
You might have trouble finding the anti-sink sphere :wink:
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

you need to be sure which model she is. Citroen changed on the L 1993/4 from "Sinker" cars to "Anti Sink" system... HOW EVER, these dont affect the corner spheres or the accumilator spheres.. If she hiss's a lot when running, shes is MEANT to sink, NOTHING you can do about it..

Have a look at the regulator on the gearbox were the front sphere is, IF THERES an extra decive above it (Looking from under the car) its the flow divider and she IS a Sinker, IF the regulator sits there on her OWN then she has anti sink, ANOTHER way, have a look at the Main Suspension Pump, below the alintaor, if theres ONE Rubber feed pipe and just ONE Steel outlet pipe shes a Sinker, other wise there will be ONE rubber feed and TWO steel outlet pipes...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I see. I presume then that "sinkers" go down pretty quickly?

I was working on previous experience where cars that sank quickly needed a new accumulator sphere.

I'll listen to the hissing again, then, maybe record a sound file.

All interesting this.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nothing wrong with sinkers :!: