Xsara HDi questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Will
My Cars:

Xsara HDi questions

Post by Will »

Hi

I've just (after much looking) purchased a 2003 Xsara HDI SX 110. I'm getting to know it at the moment but first impressions are good - lots of poke, reasonably well screwed together for a Citroen and rides well, although no comparison to my BX!

A couple of questions though.

1) The heater seems a bit puny. Heat does come through and all the controls seem to do things and the blower works but the actual output seems quite weak, even in override mode with the blower & heat set to max. I've heard that cleaning or changing the pollen filter might improve things - where is this located? I get no smells or excess interior dampness so I don't thing there is a matrix leak or anything nasty.

2) Even after a good run (50 miles down the M11) the engine temp guage never rises above around 70 degrees ish - is this normal for an HDI and/or would this contribute to the lowish heater output?

Its going in for a cambelt & water pump soon so a drain and refill of the coolant is on the cards - might this help things?

Thanks!
Will
2008 C5 HDi 136 VTR+
1991 AX GT
1983 2CV6 Beachcomber
1979 2CV6
1974 AZU250 Belgian PO
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

That's the exact same model and year as my car.

1. The heater does take ages to warm up on a winters morning. It's because the Hdi engine is that efficient it takes a long time to get up to temperature. Never had a problem with the amount of air shifted so it might be worth looking at your pollen filter. New ones don't cost that much so I wouldn't even think about cleaning it, just replace.
To get to it drop the carpet above the passenger footwell (3 x torx screws) and you will see the end of the filer housing. Slide the cover (along it's length) to unclip it and then you can remove it to get at the filter.

2. Even driven in anger my temperature gauge never gets anywhere near half way so I'd say yours sounds about right.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The low heat delivery to the cabin will be the pollen filter , had exactly the same problem with my Xanti , new pollen filter , problem solved :) It's in the passenger footwell below the glovebox on a Xantia but not sure on a Xsara.

Engine operating temps on HDI's are , it seems , low. Make sure your reading the gauge correctly though , if it's marked 60c then 90c , the division in between is 80c. My Xantia runs at a needle width over 80c.
If the gauge is reading low it can be a faulty sensor , again , on my Xantia the sensor was faulty and reading high , but they can also fail low.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Will
My Cars:

Post by Will »

Thanks for your replies. I'll get on and replace the pollen filter as a first step then. The temp guage settles at less than halfway between the 60 and 90, so I'd guess its between 70 and 80. I won't be unduly worried about that then, the engine seems very unstressed generally, I don't think I've had need to go beyond 3000 rpm yet!

One other thing while I'm on.. .There a constant electrical whirring sound coming from (it seems) the passenger side somewhere when the car is in motion. It doesn't seem connected to the ventilation fan and is not intrusive but definitely noticable at low speeds and stationery. Is this normal or is something stuck or not turning off properly?

Thanks
Will
2008 C5 HDi 136 VTR+
1991 AX GT
1983 2CV6 Beachcomber
1979 2CV6
1974 AZU250 Belgian PO
Xsarahdi

Post by Xsarahdi »

Same model and year as mine too! :) They are great cars so I'm sure you will like it. The temperature gauge on mine reads the same as yours, about 75. How many miles has your car done :?:
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation
Will
My Cars:

Post by Will »

Its done 99,500. So it's cambelt, tensioners and waterpump time I believe.

The car is in black and featurs the mid-phase2 extras such as front foglights, chrome rear bumper insert and the different silver dashboard dials. It also has the factory option sunroof, I havent seen any other SX spec with this so far. Interestingly, it has been rebadged as an Exclusive on the rear under the Hdi script and on the front door strips, but the SX badge is still underneath on the doors! I guess a previous owner wanted to up-spec, although it was a dealer demonstrator from new so maybe it was done there?

Its on the V5 and Citroen's database as a SX though and I'm happy with that 8)

The only mod I plan is to change the wheels (Everest alloys) for a set of Vesuves, purely personal taste!

I like it a lot, I've been searching a while for the right one so hopefully this will serve me well.
2008 C5 HDi 136 VTR+
1991 AX GT
1983 2CV6 Beachcomber
1979 2CV6
1974 AZU250 Belgian PO
Xsarahdi

Post by Xsarahdi »

You could try this website http://www.cxoc.net. Lots of helpful Xsara owners who could answer any questions.
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation