Alternator cleaning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Alternator cleaning

Post by MikeT »

I have a spare alternator that I'd like to clean as it's been drenched in engine oil. What, if any cleansing solutions are safe to use. I think Jim used contact cleaner on his LHM soaked alternator - would that clean off engine oil ok? Any other alternatives?
Last edited by MikeT on 13 Nov 2009, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

One of the best ways to remove every trace of oil from almost anything is a good soak in hot water with plenty of ordinary washing detergent (we used to reckon Daz was the best for this) followed by a thorough hot rinse and (blow) dry.

Obviously, the item in question should be resistant to both water and detergents. Having said that, I've cleaned engine blocks and cylinder heads like this, the trick is to get some WD40 on all the machined surfaces immediately it comes out of the wash - then worry about getting it dry.

As the front and rear bearings might lose too much lubricant, and the electronics would need to be very thoroughly dried, I would remove the two end plates and just wash the rotor and the cylindrical case complete with field coils - the two things most difficult to get properly clean and whose 'varnish' is vulnerable to solvent attack. :cry:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

If you try a good quality motor factors there is a special cleaner used to clean all types of automotive electrical equipment. It is made by the same company that makes Gunk. You can apply it by spray and it will remove all the baked on crud and then leave it to air dry. It does not attack sealants or insulation, so any windings and contacts will be safe. Not cheap but it does the job and will get the unit looking like new. If I get to the workshop over the weekend, I'll look up the name for you and post it up here.

Contrary to Old Guys recommendation, NEVER use WD40 or any similar sprays as they contain silicates that form an electrically resistant film on anything they come into contact with. WD40 is also known to attack many types of plastic and cause them to fail by decay. If you want to use a preservative spray, use contact or switch cleaner, which does contain electrically conducting cleaners and preservatives. I usually buy mine at my local electrical wholesaler, but not all factors stock it.

Handyman
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Sorry, I should have made it clearer that my recommendation of using WD40 was for ferrous machined surfaces on head and blocks ONLY - otherwise a film of rust forms very quickly.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can buy a cleaning spray for Paslode nail guns that is pretty sensitive in terms of removing carbon yet not eroding insulation varnish - it's less aggressive than methanol/acetone based throttle body cleaners.

Cheers, Adam.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Okay, if contact will do engine oil, I'll give that a try first. Thanks all. :)