Citroen HDI starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

karlsrelay
My Cars:

Citroen HDI starting problem

Post by karlsrelay »

Hi Guys

The vehical in question is a 2002 Citroen Relay 2.0HDI 77k miles :? :? , but im assuming that the basic principles are the same as used in other HDI citroens.

Last week whilst driving the dipped headlights and dash lighting cut out. Rear lights and side lights as well as full beam all worked fine. All fuses ok. After removing glove box etc I found a loose wire going into the fuse board. Repaired this, lights now all work fine. However, the van will now not start correctly. Ignition on, all fine, cranks over, starts for approx 2-3 seconds (but sounds noisey and smells rich) then cuts out. I have noticed that whilst the engine runs the EML does stay illuminated, and sometimes makes a brief flash?

It does this time and time over, maybe even 20 times one time after another. Ive checked all fuses and cant see any other obvious loose wires. I dont think I knocked anything, and definately didnt touch any mechanical areas! Is there a common thing to check? Maybe a relay or could I of somehow 'blown' the ECU! Im not into code reading ect so please dont ask, im just hoping that someone has had this problem or similar before.

Thanks in advance

Karl
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

this deserves a bump, surely?
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Karl,

Sorry to hear your problems. I hope some forum member will be able to help you. Problem is that many, such as myself, are running older, predominantly Xantia vehicles, and aren't clued up on the problems thrown up on more modern machinery. I'm not a fan of modern technology, for exactly the difficulties you are experiencing, but we'll all have to accept it sooner or later.

Good luck - hope it's not too difficult to rectify - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Get your garage to do an injector leak off test. A faulty injector is a good bet, it stops the fuel system building up enough pressure to allow it to start. live data from the fuel rail pressure sensor will also show if theres not enough pressure, needs a minimum of 110 bar before it will think about starting.