aura springs vs volcane springs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

aura springs vs volcane springs?

Post by Twiss »

Hello

Could someone tell me if there is a difference between the aura or volcane front springs

I only ask as I have Aura TD but would like the suspension alittle stiffer.

I like and feel of the volcane stiffnes and thought this was a good level comfort to stiffnes ratio (have driven a volcane) but I need to know do I need to change the springs as well as the shocks?

Thanks in advance
Peugeot 206 1.4 SW, huge amounts of space for a little estate, feels responsive in the corners.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I hate it when people use the term "shock absorber" when referring to dampers.
And yes you will need to replace the springs as well as the dampers. The Volcane has stiffer (and I believe lower, but I'm not certain) suspension springs as well as front and rear anti-roll bars.
You may have a task replacing them though, may be a maze of old rusty and siezed bolts everywhere.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There were no such things as 'dampers' when I started driving, they were all shock absorbers - so it depends how old you are. :D

The suspension is harder on the Volcane, I've driven both, but personally I prefer it soft. Is the rear suspension also stiffer or is there only one type of axle assembly?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I expect the Volcane will have a stiffer anti-roll bar at the back. It's not obvious that the rear has an anti-roll bar as it runs inside the axle tube. They can be swapped byt after a few years, corrosion on the rear beam makes this a right devil of a job.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Twiss, the suspension components for the ZX very much depend on the engine fitted. As the diesel lump is much heavier than the petrol engine, both the spring rate and the damping in the front struts are different, ie: stiffer. In addition, the anti-roll bar in the Volcane is much thicker and therefore much stiffer. This increased spring rate is also fitted to the rear torsion bar suspension.

As many of these suspension components are generic to similar Citroen and Peugeot models, many components can be swapped around, but you do need to know what you are doing as you could end up with a car that is either undriveable, or worse, lethal. If unsure, leave alone and seek the advice or services of an expert.

If you want to do it properly, junk the standard struts and shocks and fit a complete set of multi-adjustable units like Konis or Spax. You can then play to your hearts content setting damping and rebound rates!

If you change the rate of springing and damping at the front of the car, you MUST also change the back. Otherwise you may well find you and the car roll too easily into a ditch with all the consequences.

Chlorate, I think you are a bit behind the times with "dampers". The last cars to use these were the Morris Marina and the MGB, do not suppose you are driving around in either of these.

Common usage of terms in the motor industry nowadays are struts, which combine steering, suspension and damping or shock absorbers, which damp oscillations in springs and aid rear suspension, especially if gas pressurised. If you use out-moded expressions, most mechanics won't have a clue what you are talking about.

Having said all that, my 1930s Citroen has dampers!! :shock:

Handyman, IKBA
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

No it doesn't it has shock absorbers :D
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Obviously written by someone of my age :D