frustrating xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jamesdickens
My Cars:

frustrating xsara

Post by jamesdickens »

hi guys, i have a 99 T xsara 1.4 with 105k on the clock. i have reciently changed the head gasket my self and ever since it hasnt ran right. The sympoms are, runs fine when cold but when warmed up it has a lumpy tick over. It also has very high emissions (7%+ co & lambda is slightly low) and the little brown thing in the engine bay (think its to do with the charcole canister) starts to click and pulse. Fault code says MAP readings too high so changed MAP sensor but no differance. Also changed the fuel pressure regulator still no differance. Any ideas folks? Could it be the cam belt timing is wrong? ive ran out of ideas so any help would be much appreciated. Kind regards, James.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

in what way did the head gasket go, as it may well have fouled up some sensors maybe Lambda or even the CAT as well,

saying all that the first thing to check would be the cam timming, which is very easy on a 1.4 TU lump,

how did you set/lock the cam/crank

regards malcolm
jamesdickens
My Cars:

Post by jamesdickens »

hi there, thanks for your reply. It is a 1.4 and the previous owner boiled it dry (i bought it with head gasket gone) Ive replace the lambda sensor and the cat is fine. Before i put the head back on i put the pistons half way down the bore, put the head on tightened it up in the correct way then turned the crank until the timing pin locked the flywheel, then turned the cam sprocket until i could fit the timing pin in the head then fitted the belt in the usual way. Ive cleaned all sensors to no avail. If you disconnet the servo pipe it seems to run a lot better but the tick is higher. I am all out of ideas. Any help is much appreciated. Many thanks James.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

may be you should ask on here if there is a FCF member with a LEXIA near were you live, who would be willing to plug into your car to see if there are any faults/codes showing up,

i did some MOT work for a customer a few weeks ago, the car (pug 306) had failed on amongst other things the emmisions,

the MOT station quoted them mega bucks to do the work reqired to get it through the test, so they asked me to sort it,
i fitted a new LAMBDA sensor then took it to the MOT station i use to get the emmisions check before sending it back to the other MOT station for a re/test,

it still failed on the emmisions (LAMBDA reading low ) and they said they thought it was the CAT, so i fitted a CAT and that sorted it and got it throgh the MOT,

regards malcolm

regards malcolm
jamesdickens
My Cars:

Post by jamesdickens »

Ive had the car running without the cat on it and it still runs lumpy. But when the engine is cold it runs as it should until after 5 mins. Something goes crazy. Theres a small brown thing that says sagem on it (to do with the carbon canister) ticks and pulses. My friends dad has a pug 306 with the same engine in it and his sagem thing is fine, doesnt tick or pulse. I have already had it plugged into a computer and it came up with high MAP readings and thats when i changed the map sensor but no differance. I have also put a new thermostate in it aswel.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You did re adjust the valve clearances after removing the rockers to do the HG didn't you ??
jamesdickens
My Cars:

Post by jamesdickens »

oh yeah and it sounds fantastic. well, as xsaras go! Just reading up on common faults on xsaras that the ECU can play up. Could it be faulty software? I have also changed the coolant temp sensor aswel. And it has also used a LOT of fuel. Even though the emissions are sky high the spark plugs are in perfect condition (grey).