my xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arch50
My Cars:

my xantia

Post by arch50 »

hi guys just dun my front link rods and it turned into a nightmare jackup the car cut off the old rods and guess what the new ones i have are 12mm and the old ones were 10mm so drill out the top bracket to 12mm but the bottom ones this is a no no to hard to drill so i had to grind down the 12mm screwed rod to 10mm and cut a thead on the two bottom ones
and yes all is well with the xantia and no more front end rattle
this is one of the many good ones 1994 120k but the alarm is on the way out will have to change it for a newer one soon
cheers guys (keep on chapping)
first citroen was a GS 1220 + 4 bx td +the xantia td
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Arrghh.. Drilling out is a BIG no no... NOT For safty reasons but more for the following experiance:

The previous owner of the Black S1 1993 TD Xantia (In my Signiture) had a drop link out.. so she asked her partner to change it.. Her step dad had a spare one and it was handed over. So he duly jacked up the car, and CUT the old Link off then when he came to fit the new rod the ends were bigger and didn't fit... oh dear he thought what do I do.. Oh I know drill the holes out (The car was needed for next day)

The Strut Hole drilled out EASY, but the antiroll bar - NO, must be made of gold or something, by this time Id got home from work.. we must have used about 6 drill bits to open the hole out!

Anyway, the no no it the hole on the upper strut, IF YOU DRILL IT OUT TOO BIG you will be FOREVER putting roll bar links on, because you cannot centralise the bar in the hole and it puts the geometry out !

Now the car has come to me through a part ex, Ive put about 3 on in 10k.. my answer luckily has come in the form of a 1997 P reg xantia in which Ill swap the strut legs over..

The hole in the antiroll bar doesn't matter as it PUSH's down on that one, its the upper hole that puts it out..

Citroen, famous for this sort of thing used smaller rods on the nuts for the first 3 years or so, then enlarged them from about 1996...

IF however you have accuretly drilled the hole to EXACTLY the same size you MAY not have a problem.. all you need to do is remember to get the bigger and turn the lower side down next time..

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto