Has it dissapeared off the planet?????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kvic

Has it dissapeared off the planet?????

Post by kvic »

Hello. Im posting this as im quite fed up now and I dont know what elses to do. I have a citroen c5 and at the end of september the gears started playing up. the garage told me it was the gear cables (both) and that they had ordered them. They got told it would be the 24th october when theyd be delivered, which has been and gone and no cables. Now I find out theres not even an estimated time of arrival. Does anyone know what is goin on, or where I can get them from as my legs are gettin really tired now and are sick of walking everywhere. Thanks for any help
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

If you can get the part number out of the dealer that has them on order and let me know I can see if my local dealer can get them.

I have a very helpfull and friendly main dealer, in the past I have managed to get parts from them that others have said "part not available". I rekon that some just cannot be bothered.

As said you will have to get me the part number as I would be doing out as a favour and dont want to get stuck with the wrong parts ordered.

Regards
Martin.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Dont even need part numbers really, do you? Should the Registration of the car get you the parts needed..??

paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Ah Paul.

Yes I could very well get the bits just from a reg or chassis number, but in cases like this where I offer to get parts that can be quite expensive and I have no reason to hold them in stock, I will allways ask for the part number.

With Citroen (like a lot of dealers) once you have bought a non stock item, it's yours. For that reason, if the customer has supplied me with the number and I have supplied that number, then I will not take it back unless the dealer will.

I have been caught out too many times and at one time had about £1500 worth of stock that I did not want and could not get rid of, all special order that the customers either decided that they no longer needed or just never bothered to collect.

Regards
Martin.
kvic

Post by kvic »

Thanks for the replies, well this is the part number ive been given. 244y (I hope that is right) .It should be a cable for the gear box, the other cable isnt in short supply so I shouldnt have any bother getting it. Got to say have been on the phone to another dealer today and hes had one on backorder since july.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

kvic wrote:Thanks for the replies, well this is the part number ive been given. 244y (I hope that is right) .It should be a cable for the gear box, the other cable isnt in short supply so I shouldnt have any bother getting it. Got to say have been on the phone to another dealer today and hes had one on backorder since july.
Unfortunately that part number doesn't appear to be right (it's PROBABLY 2444 Y4). There are many variations between models and ages! The surest way is through the VIN number, and/or the RP number.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
kvic

Post by kvic »

The reg is YM02 LVT
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Part No 2444Y4 comes up as a gear cable at £61.23 inc vat.

I will check the availability in the morning and let you know.

Regards
Martin.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Well I have just spoken to my very friendly dealer and they have confirmed that the part is not available at the moment.

They seem to think that Citroen are having trouble with the suppliers of the cable and this is the reason for delay.

The dealer also told me that the other day, they had an all dealer search email about this part number. What this does is to ask all dealers in the country is they have one in stock, it could well have come from your dealer? This confirms that they are trying to find you one rather than forgetting it.

The only solution at the moment would be from a breakers, there must be plenty of crashed C5's about in the yards with decent cables on them.

Sorry, tried but failed....... :cry:

Regards
Martin.
kvic

No joy for c5 gearbox cables

Post by kvic »

Im at my wits end now. I cannot find this cable anywhere. I did go to a scrapyard and paid £40 to buy what I thought was the answer to my prayers (A used cable) only to be told it had seized up by the garage who were going to fit it,and then the person who i bought it off told me I couldnt get my money back. I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any ideas what I can try next as the car is on finance and I reckon the hire company are gonna try and extort as much money as they can out of me when I ask them if I can hand it back. Needless to say I am rather fed up at the minute, right on top of xmas with two kids and no car, and no way of fixing it. Thanks for youre help :( :( :(
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Try a part finder service on the web , post up the part u need and they send the enquiry to a large number of breakers etc who respond to u directly if they can help.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
kvic

Post by kvic »

Thanks for the reply. I tried that a couple of days ago and it came up with one used, but I have no way of knowing if it works.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

presumeably Citroen have tried a UK dealer search ?

Only other thing I can think of is trawling the breaker yards in the back of Auto Trader ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are there no cable repairers anymore? I have a mob here, who can replicate most basic cables (throttle, handbrake, gearshift) so long as the sheath is fine and there are ends to copy or re-use. Often well cheaper than new, also.

Look for people who service light aircraft, near smaller airports where hobby planes are hangared.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Wherabouts are you??

I am sure that if I got my hands on the second had cable I could free it up, or have a bloody good go anyhow.

Regards
Martin.