Clutch cable??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dannybennett
My Cars:

Clutch cable??

Post by dannybennett »

I had a new clutch fitted 2 months ago, i was driving along when my clutch just suddenly went. I can only get it in gear when the engine is off, the clutch pedal is nearly to the floor

any suggestions to what this could be thank you
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is this a Xantia?

If so, it'll be a broken clutch clip. Do a search and prepare for some upside-down work in the drivers footwell. It's a common problem and often follows replacement of a very heavy clutch.

Welcome to the forum danny :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dannybennett
My Cars:

Post by dannybennett »

I have a Citroen zx aura 1.9 tb m reg 1995
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

If it's a zx then the clutch clip does'nt apply. If the cable has broken the pedal will normally go right to the floor. The TD uses a pull type clutch. It sounds like the bearing has become detached from the cover. Needless to say this should'nt happen. Contact the people who fitted the clutch.
dannybennett
My Cars:

Post by dannybennett »

thankyou very much, its gettin towed to mr clutch in the morning so we'l find out the problem then. although they will probably say its not their fault!! lol
flying clutchman
My Cars:

oh, Mr clutch I see!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

flying clutchman wrote:It sounds like the bearing has become detached from the cover.
Or the top release shaft bush is damaged and has dropped down the shaft. Happened on my old 1.9TD. Luckily, this can be seen and rectified without having to drop the 'box off again by removing the release arm and having a look-see.

Whenever a clutch is replaced in a BE3 'box it is always a good idea to replace these bushes as the top bush location tang is not all that strong and easily damaged. They only cost pennies from a dealer.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
flying clutchman
My Cars:

yes, can see how that could happen. Never had it happen as far as I can remember. Someone struggling to get the pin out might damage the bush perhaps?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There was definitely a plastic clip in evidence when I changed the clutch cable on our 94 ZX TD a few years back.... much much easier to get to than the Xantia one :lol: Getting the clutch cable back in through the bulk head though is on a par with getting to the clip on the Xantia :twisted: (I got it wrong some how and ended up with a very short pedal movement - seemed that the inner was hanging up on the edge of the outer cable - never got around to sorting it before we had to scrap the car).

Mind you it's easier than the clutch cable on a 306 HDi - that needs the A/C draining and the pipes unbolting where they go through the bulkhead in order to make enough room to get the end of the cable out from under the pipes :roll:
Richard W