Bad engine shake on start up.....C5 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chris050

Bad engine shake on start up.....C5 HDi

Post by chris050 »

Folks, an unusual problem has started occuring on my C5 HDi.
About 2 weeks ago I was driving along minding my own business when all of a sudden there was a loud bang and tons of smoke from the exhaust. I opened the bonnet and found that the big hose on top of the engine had disconnected at one end. I tightened the jubilee clip-type thingy, and everything was fine. Car started and no smoke, and has been fine since.
However, I now notice that during approx. 1 out of every 8 or 10 starts the whole engine shakes badly. I turn off the ignition then restart and this seems to cure it but it's not a pleasant noise when it happens.
Perhaps the 2 incidents above are not connected, but does anyone know what the cause might be?
The car is an 01 (110bhp) with 87k miles and is otherwise fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The hose u describe sounds like the one from the intercooler to the inlet manifold. For that to blow off would need some considerable pressure. On a petrol engine that can be caused by a backfire but that can't happen in a diesel unless some bizarre circumstances have occurred !! The shaking u describe could be caused by a cylinder or two not firing.
Just an off the wall thought , could u have hit anything in the road that struck the engine ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
chris050

Post by chris050 »

Hi HDI
Nope, didn't hit anything at all.
The hose is the big fat one and it came off at the front of the engine. Maybe it was just loose, I don't know. It hasn't happened since though but that starting shake is a bit annoying.

Chris