Tailgate lock problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Tailgate lock problem

Post by VertVega »

It is an unpleasant surprise to notice that tailgate lock doesn't work Image

All other doors are locking and unlocking. There is a clear motor sound from the tailgate each time I click buttons on the key, i.e. not a broken wire case.

Thinking positive, it's LOCKED :)

I'll try to check tomorrow day time. Has anyone experienced the same? Any ideas?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You know it may be carefully released from inside, either by prising off the lower latch plastic and unscrewing the striker (12mm deep offset wrench), or tripping the nearly hidden release lever adjacent?

There seems to be clear vinyl around some parts of the latch - possibly a piece has peeled away to jam the lock mechanism...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

You are aware (therefore not fouling foul of) the special feature the hatch locks carry, I trust?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks addo, tomorrow I was planning to get my camera and "dive" into the problem source by lowering rear seats :)

MikeT, estate locks are different than sedan ones, no key hole. There's a handle which doesn't function at the moment. Tailgate is in the locked position.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The estate locking mechanism is a bit strange. Your problem will be caused by a seizure of the mechanism the locking motor pulls/pushes and is quite common as it gets wet regularly. Even when totally seized, you'll still hear the motor operate as it has a clutch built into it. It is in fact identical to the motors used in the Peugeot 205 and is not a deadlock by any means.

How to get into the tailgate to unlock it though is tricky. You may just be able to fiddle it by removing the light clusters which is possible after removing the bulb access panels. You should be able to grab the link rod from the motor to the mechanism after cutting a small access hole in the polythene membrane. You'll need to then remove the tailgate trim and reseal the membrane after giving all the linkages a good lubrication.

You may find the central locking motor has failed in one direction (i.e it will push to lock but not pull to unlock). test it very thoroughly before replacing the membrane.

To help you visualise where the motor is, Look at the tailgate from outside, imagine it is transparent and look to your right. The motor will be around half way up above the light cluster.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks Jim, I bet this will be a very interesting job. I'm already very anxious for tomorrow and I will take pictures as usual :)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Problem solved, case closed, happy Xantia owner :D

Here's a brief update, I hope it'll be helpful for forum members (and guests).

As CitroJim said the locking mechanism is a bit strange. Actually the lock is enabling/disabling the handle!
When it's locked the handle is disabled. It can be released from inside, thanks addo! Trim removal is easy and
I have done it several times before. Plastic membrane doesn't have to be removed completely but just the half way
from the upper part. Important: if membrane adhesive is in bad condition,especially from lower part then it should be
removed completely and old sealant must be cleaned. I have used 3M auto glass ribbon sealer for new adhesive.

The tailgate lock motor sometimes failed to lock or unlock. Sometimes push pull mechanism (see markings in pic) didn't work.
I have bought a used one from a scrapcar and installed. It works fine (now 1 week).

Once again thanks for your help!

If you are also interested in How_things_work :) the lock motor mechanism is seen below.

I found this thread where Xsara Estate tailgate lock opening trick is explained
(It was same for Xantia) --> http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... t=tailgate

Also read in another thread where C5 tailgate lock opening from inside in the same way.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Tailgate lock problem

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if you know you want to open the boot before you get out of the car, open drivers door and reach across and push down the
front passengers side door lock which will lock/unlock the central locking mechanism on all doors, the system senses that one door is still open ie your drivers door and unlocks the mechanism, repeat pressing the button down on the passenger door until you hear the boot unlock itself then spray liberally with lithium grease around the boot lock and it should be fine, the solenoids are a bit weak so keeping the cars battery charged up especially ion the winter can help with this problem, I find it works most of the time.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.