Leaking Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia Man

Leaking Xantia

Post by Xantia Man »

Hi Guys, new to citroens and their problems, thanks for the great forum.

Ok, my new Xantia Exclusive (2.0 auto petrol) has developed an lhm leak, my driver footwell is flooded with LHM, on closer inspection, I think it may be running down from a sort of connector block up pipes in the engine bay.

Is this something that's happened to anyone before, and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

M.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome M :D

Two possibilities here. The brake dosuer valve (the thing akin to a master cylinder but very different in operation) has two leakage return pipes attached to it that run back to the LHM reservoir. One or the other can pop off or the short rubber hose that is interspersed between the dosuer valve and the plastic return pipe proper can harden, perish and split. Have a look at the dosuer valve from the engine bay and see if it is wet.

This is a picture of the dosuer valve:

The valve has a rubber cap on the front upon which rests the extension from the brake pedal that operates it. This cap can sometimes split and leak prodigious amounts of LHM. It is available as a spare part from a dealers and can be replaced in-situ with some difficulty.

The drivers side carpet will need to be lifted and washed in strong shampoo. Expect a gawd-almighty mess underneath as the leaking LHM is likely to have attacked the sound deadening on the floor and turned it into a sticky mess.

The other possibility is a leaking steering pinion valve (the lump on the steering rack just below where the steering column attaches) although leaks here don't usually make it to the interior of the car.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would go for the rubber cap on the pedel end of the doser valve,

and yes it can be done but i usualy unbolt the valve from the bulkhead, and gently but positivly pull it into the endgine bay and carefully rotate it so not to damage the metal pipes, pull and rotate the valve till you can gain access to prize out the small alliminium retaining ring from inside the neck of the doser valve,

then prize out the rubber cap,

re/assebly is a reversal,

it pays to buy the alliminium ring as it is soft and can become damaged on removal

here are the part No.'s and price's

ring
5424455 6.48
brake protector (rubber cap)
95640047 8.80

total price trade inc vat 15.25

regards malcolm