Picasso Radio problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

E H Shaw

Picasso Radio problem

Post by E H Shaw »

I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006 reg. Recently replaced its radio/CD with a JVC KD 401 with USB slot and Aux in for MP3 player use. Halfords engineer fitted it.

However, all the mileage displays and computer calculations displays have been lost as wiring obviously different for JVC. Still have clock and temp readings.

Is it easy to get them back? Do I need any other connectors? Are there connectors taken out that need to be put back?
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I think you need to get back to Halfords & show them what's wrong...it sounds like they have disconnected wires that they maybe shouldn't have.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Multiplexed cars can get the hump on when you fit another radio if not done right, see wheeler's info here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=27639

You could take it back to Halfords and try to get them to fit it properly, but I doubt it will be successful - extremely unlikely that the fitter is an engineer - barely trained salesperson perhaps, but deffo not an engineer(*). A decent autosparks will fix it in a few minutes.

* OT rant on / bugbear of mine - I AM an engineer, spent 10 years learning / training to be allowed to write MEng CEng MIChemE after my name, and get annoyed by every body with even a hint of techicality using the moniker 'Engineer'. OT rant off / :evil:
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

RichardW wrote:A decent autosparks will fix it in a few minutes.

* OT rant on / bugbear of mine - I AM an engineer, spent 10 years learning / training to be allowed to write MEng CEng MIChemE after my name, and get annoyed by every body with even a hint of techicality using the moniker 'Engineer'. OT rant off / :evil:
[ot]
Note the word DECENT when he mentions autosparks, they are hard to find, it's not rocket science to be honest, even a hobbyist engineer (most of us) can spot a dodgy auto electrician, and we all on here, are usually educated enough to know if they speak technically superior to ourselves, having said that, i wouldn't be able to be an auto engineer myself though, although i will work on my own car no problem...

I'm with you on that one richard, although i'm not an engineer myself, i do see many people who think they are engineers, and call themselves one, to me the term engineer means at the very least someone with a degree in a technical engineering field, i.e mechanical, electronic, electrical, civil, architectual, nuclear, even more so if they are a 'chartered' engineer, having looked into engineering degree's myself at a couple of universities, they are massively comprehensive courses that involve stupidly complex maths, and ideas hobby engineers could not grasp.

as for the letters after your name, that's a lot of hard work, fair play

as for halfords, i tend to avoid the place, the one in bangor near me have ALWAYS without fail fudged something up if i ask for a part, either wrong part in the box, wrong part ordered, or too expensive, ridiculous place, ok for general stuff for general people, but still expensive nontheless, and i wouldn't let any of their monkeys close to my car, imagine paying a monkey two pounds to change a wiper blade! [o/t over]

please carry on....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, and I'm very much with you on that one as well Richard.
deian wrote: although i'm not an engineer myself, i do see many people who think they are engineers, and call themselves one, to me the term engineer means at the very least someone with a degree in a technical engineering field, i.e mechanical, electronic, electrical, civil, architectual, nuclear, even more so if they are a 'chartered' engineer, having looked into engineering degree's myself at a couple of universities, they are massively comprehensive courses that involve stupidly complex maths, and ideas hobby engineers could not grasp.
By that definition then Dei, I'm not an engineer! I hold no formal engineering qualifications as you do Richard but did serve a long (government) apprenticeship for my formal trade as an HF radio engineer. After passing from that apprenticeship we were (and still are) formally known as engineers at work :roll:

Guess I'd better edit my profile on here then...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...