Peuegot 205 difficult to start.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

Peuegot 205 difficult to start.

Post by alanshep »

Hello.

My son has a Peugeot 205 1.1 - TU engine with carburettor.

Recently the car has become very difficult to start. If you give the car any choke at all (even from stone cold) then it just doesn't want to know..

The only way to get the car started is to use no choke and no throttle. Eventually the car will catch and then you need to give it choke in order for it to tickover.

We have fitted new plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm but to no effect. We've also fitted a replacement carb and fuel pump but these made no difference.

Have checked around for air leaks and have found nothing.

Planning on fitting a new ignition coil next.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
ZX Diesel 1992.
Peugeot 205 1.1 1990.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Alan,

Sounds like it is flooding when trying to start. I'd check the float valve in the carb as this is possibly leaking or, the float is punctured and allowing the fuel level in the float chamber to be too high. Either will give an excessively rich starting mixture and lead to the symptoms you describe. Choke would be needed as soon as it catches as fuel level in the float chamber will then fall.

I'd be surprised if it was an ignition problem.

Does it reek of petrol when trying to start?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Thanks Jim.

What you say makes sense.

With the original carburettor fitted there was a smell of petrol - my son was fairly convinced it was flooding.

With the replacement carb there is no obvious smell of petrol - however this carb had been sitting around for a few years and so may be suspect.

I intend to try and get hold of a rebuild kit for the original carb and give it a good cleaning and check.

Alan
ZX Diesel 1992.
Peugeot 205 1.1 1990.
scottishpaul

sounds like sticking float in carb

Post by scottishpaul »

sounds like sticking float in carb ,....but these are very comon for the the coil to give trouble .i had this with a axgt and a 1.4 205 but more the case it would always start fine then once was hot struggled to start but that was due to the coil .........paul
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Just an update. Fitted a brand new coil the other weekend which seems to have cured things. Car now starts pretty much straight away.
ZX Diesel 1992.
Peugeot 205 1.1 1990.