Xantia..Time for work.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Xantia..Time for work.

Post by lexi »

Old Xantia donk has served me well this summer yet again. Many jobs need doing now. 98 R 1.9TD Estate 117k. Cam belt, tensioner and water pump are in a bag ready for fitting. In the same bag is Aux belt and Eccentric Tensioner. I need the other tensioner before I start.

Now to renew these items can you give the easiest order for the work before I dip my head in the manual (bedtime read).
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
deian

Post by deian »

assuming you'll do it all in one go...

whip it all off and
drain coolant,
change pump,
do the cambelt tensioner,
then the cambelt,
do the aux belt tensioner,
then put the aux belt back on,
then refill the coolant remembering to bleed at the appropriate points as the coolant level gets higher,

maybe turn engine by hand first incase it's out of time,

personally i'd finish off with a nice oil change, and all filters,
job done
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's about it Dei :D There's a guide on here how to do the aux.belt tensioner Lexi.
deian wrote: maybe turn engine by hand first incase it's out of time,
This is absolutely essential and it's essential to lock the crank, despite the fiddliness of finding the hole behind the starter motor. Sometimes it's easiest to remove the starter motor.

In addition to oil and filters, also do an LHM change and LHM filters. Then you're good for the winter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks guys. Yes all in one go. All LHM and Hydraflushed 3k ago. Locking Crank is a bolt........what size? You mean turn by hand in case a tooth out or 180 deg out?

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

To also verify. There is only one Auxiliary belt tensioner to renew? I thought there were two.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Would imagine the Crank pulley just turns by hand. The paint radiator handle tip in hints section?......sounds good?.......for locking crank.

Still wondering if the second aux belt tensioner I am thinking of is part of the eccentric one ? I only have the new one which is just like a big bearing.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
colinxm
My Cars:

Post by colinxm »

Hi Lexi, i would definately recommend removing the start motor to access the hole where you will fit the locking peg (short M8 bolt) to time the crankshaft.
To turn the engine by hand simply screw back in the bolt from the end of the crankshaft that you removed to take off the auxiliary belt pulley and use a suitable socket to turn over the engine - turn it clockwise only :wink: It will help if you remove either the glowplugs or the injectors from the head as you'll not be battling against compression.

Good luck Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate
2004 Pug 307 SW
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Xantia has only ONE Aux belt, and if you have air con a long one which has a complex route if you not been there before.. TAKE NOT OF ITS ROUTE CAREFULLY!!!

A 6mm ALLEN key is also a ok locking pin, i always use one, the angled end helps you hold the key while you locate the hole with the long end..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Lexi,

"The paint radiator handle tip in hints section" - I've not tried this hint yet - could be good idea. I've always used an 8mm dia bolt (minus head) fixed to the end of piece of stiff wire (coat hanger? can't remember). I've never removed starter motor, which really makes it difficult to see what you are doing, but it is possible! Maybe you'll remove starter first time you do job, to understand where the dam hole is. Seeing the hole behind starter motor is not easy, especially if you don't know if you're looking in the right place! When I did job first time, after locking the crank, I painted white mark with tippex on to flywheel through a hole in top of bell housing, so that I now know when I'm getting the crank close to the timing position. You have to be spot on with the alignment, or the bolt won't slip into place - 1-2 mm out and it won't go

As regards turning the crank by hand, obviously easier if there's no compression, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the hassle of removing glowplugs (you won't want to remove Nos 3 or 4!), or the injectors (plus their pipework?). I turn the engine over couple of times after fitting new belt, to settle everything down, and then recheck timing. Haynes recommends this. I just accept it's more difficult turning the engine over due to there being compression. I'd rather do it this way, than disturb the glowplugs/injectors.

Interested to hear what you do, and how you get on.

Good luck - Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Right guys ..thanks for all replys. Yes I realise that there is only one belt
and I have the long belt with aircon. Still looking for the answer to the tensioners. I want to renew all the tensioner mechanisms that can wear.

I have the eccentric bearing . Is there another part to fit that I can buy?. I don`t intend to go back in here again so would rather replace everything.

Jim mentions the spring tensioner part that is pulled back but may not pull back if it is seized. Is this another renewable part?

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

No, thats all really.. if you have the eccentric, and the spring AND tensioner, thats all there is on the Aux belt side.. Cam belt, well, theres water pump, tensioner and idler which is below the Injection Pump pully.. HOWEVER, I may get shouted at, this is an XUD which uses Metal pullys in the Cam Belt area, and SO FAR Ive NEVER seen a failure in these! Water pumps a MUST DO!!

The Cam belt spring tensioner is a bit of a sod to change ONLY because theres not an easy way to hold the Spring Plunger inplace while you remove the tensioner, unless I missed something..

Theres a 13mm bolt (FROM THE TOP) below the Cam sprocket, and a 13mm nut it pivots on, but Im not sure how to hold the plunger in place, I let the thing go, then try and push it back up while I slide the NEW tensioner back on ..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

Re: turning by hand, yes i mean by hand first, one tooth or 180o out could be bad, don't think about doing it on the starter, it will turn the engine with relative ease and MAY start, it will also be a much stronger than a human arm if the pistons hit the valves, at least you have a chance to feel any undue resistance besides the compression.

you turn it by using a socket on the crank pulley, or the camshaft if it's easier.

thats how i would do it anyway, everyone has their ways, but i like to play it safe
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

deian wrote:Re: turning by hand, yes i mean by hand first, one tooth or 180o out could be bad, don't think about doing it on the starter, it will turn the engine with relative ease and MAY start, it will also be a much stronger than a human arm if the pistons hit the valves, at least you have a chance to feel any undue resistance besides the compression.

you turn it by using a socket on the crank pulley, or the camshaft if it's easier.

thats how i would do it anyway, everyone has their ways, but i like to play it safe
Wot?.....you mean my Xantia aint got no starting handle :D

Can`t say I`m looking forward to the faffing. Ah well ! never been beat yet !

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's not as much faffing as it sounds Lexi :D One of those jobs that's easier to do than explain in words if you know what I mean...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

what i'd do, use a socket and ratchet, then lock the ratchet to the way the engine turns so when you work against the compression it doesn't spring back and hurts ur hand and also so you can carry one turning the engine

if there isn't much space for a ratchet/rocket combination, then maybe use a ratchet ring spanner if you have one, if it's isn't long enough or no space for your hand to get down to get yourself the movement find a pipe that can slip over the ratchet(/spanner)