Do I need to adjust HID headlamps to drive in France?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philjw
My Cars:

Do I need to adjust HID headlamps to drive in France?

Post by Philjw »

I have an 05 Mk 2 C5 estate with factory fitted Xenon headlamps. Is it necessary to adjust them for driving in France or does the beam shape mean that they don't dip to the left and can be legally used as they are?
If they should be adjusted, is this a DIY job?
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I might be wrong, but on some cars this job requires plugging the car into a computer and adjusting them via the program.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
deian

Post by deian »

That's a complex way of adjusting them!
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

I have NEVER adjusted my headlights while driving in Europe in a variety of vehicles with different headlights but, I have been stopped many times for other reasons usually for documents , where have i been etc, Most of my time in Europe has been delivering in vans, trucks etc and i have never been questioned about the headlights.

Perhaps i am just lucky maybe..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im pretty sure it is a legal requirement. I always use the ligghtl stick on headlight beam converters, though ive not had xenon lights yet.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Citroenmad wrote:I might be wrong, but on some cars this job requires plugging the car into a computer and adjusting them via the program.
There is no feature for this in lexia, the only adjustments possible are height & sideways movement for the directional headlamps.
Both the RHD & LHD headlamps are different part nos. There are roumors that you dont need to mask HID's but if you check the beam pattern on a headlight beam setter at an MOT station you can clearly see the beam pattern 'kicks up' to the n/s. On the mk1 C5 if you buy the accesory headlamp lens protectors they have marking templates on for the stickers, i would guess this would be the same for the mk2.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I was sent a copy of an email from Customer Services that says you don't need to do anything!

CITROEN UK

C5 Exclusive 2.0 hdi.

I can confirm that there is no legal requirement to mask right-hand drive headlamps for use on the continent. This is due to the Z pattern beam that is created by the Xenon headlights, fitted as standard on the Citroën C5 Exclusive models, rather than a standard flat beam on conventional headlights. The only stipulation is that the headlamps do not dazzle oncoming drivers and this applies equally to driving here in the UK as to abroad.

In addition, the C5 has Hydractive self-levelling suspension and, therefore, there is not the risk of dazzling usually associated with a heavily laden vehicle.

Drivers should have the headlamp adjustment checked before travelling. If still concerned, they could at this time have the height of the headlamp beam set to a lower position. This would reduce the possibility of dazzling even further. It must not be forgotten that any such adjustment would impair the visibility provided by the headlamps at night. Just as with masked headlamps, modifying the headlamp adjustment will reduce the effectiveness and, therefore, driving speeds must always be adapted to take this into account.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me via Citroën Customer Relations on 0870 606 9099 or

cukcustomer_relations@citroen.com

C5 Exclusive.2.O hdi.

Je peux confirmer qu’il n’y a pas d’obligation légale de masque a conduite a droite projecteurs pour utilisation sur le continent. Cela est dû au modèle Z faisceau qui est créé par les phares au Xénon, monté en série sur la Citroën C5 modèles Exclusifs, plutôt que d’un faisceau plat standard sur les phares classiques. La seule condition est que les projecteurs ne pas éblouir les conducteurs venant en sens inverse et cela s’applique également a la conduite d’ici en Royaume-Uni comme a l’étranger.

En outre, la C5 a hydractive auto nivellement suspension et, par conséquent, il n’est pas le risque d’éblouissement généralement de pair avec un véhicule lourdement chargé.

Les conducteurs doivent avoir le projecteur ajustement vérifié avant de se rendre. Si encore, ils pourraient a ce moment-là ont la hauteur du projecteur a faisceau ensemble une position inférieure. Cela réduirait la possibilité d’éblouissement encore plus loin. Il ne faut pas oublier que cette modification porterait atteinte à la visibilité fournie par les projecteurs la nuit. Tout comme les projecteurs masques, qui modifie le projecteur ajustement réduira l’efficacité et, par conséquent, de conduire les vitesses doivent toujours être adaptées a en tenir compte.

Si je peux être de n’importe queue obtenir de l’aide s’il vous plait n’hésitez pas a me contacter par Citroën sur les relations avec la clientèle 0870 606 9099 ou

cukcustomer_relations@citroen.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Thanks for all the input on this one folks. Special thanks to Paul for the copy e mail from Citroen. I'll be taking a copy of the French version with me.
I love the "do nothing" option.

Phil
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I've been driving in France in the C5 quite a lot over the last 4 years and never had a "flash" at me in all that time.

Whenever we use the Xsara I use the headlamp adjuster to knock the beams down by a couple of notches - again no problems.

I believe that the requirement is simply that you shouldn't cause an oncoming driver to be blinded so surely headlamp masks are not a necessity, merely one of the ways of achieving that result?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​