Xantia sinks after replacing spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Xantia sinks after replacing spheres

Post by rpaco »

I replaced 5 of the 6 spheres on my Xantia 1.9TD a few months back, (the accumulator could not be budged and the old one is still in place after a 5 foot leverage failed to move it)

Just recently I notice the car rises both rear (first) and front, when I start the engine, after the car standing overnight, this never used to happen, is this due to the accumulator sphere being knackered, I thought the rear was isolated at the ride height valve.

The regulator which is very near the immovable front sphere always has a drip on the nearside (RHD) end in fact the whole end seems wet, yet the fluid level never drops in the reservoir. Is this a sign that the regulator is leaking pressure and allowing the sinking? If so how do I fix it please.
I notice ticking being mentioned a lot in this thread but being a bit mutton I don't hear any ticking from the driver's seat, do I need to listen at the front of the engine bay? Is it the regulator ticking? If so why does it tick? Surely it should open to release overpressure only, while leaks would reduce pressure.
(I bet it doesn't work like that :-) )
Many thanks for any wisdom provided.
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX That kinda dark green that shows every spec and is an oven in the summer.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I've read some replies where chisel and hammer is suggested for a difficult sphere (never tried).
You can hear ticking best standing in front of the engine bay with bonnet up and engine running. It's very distinguishable sound ( :idea: I use mobile phone's stopwatch).
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Yes thanks, have tried hammer and chisel, I gave up when I reckoned there was a danger of puncturing the sphere, made several good dents though.
To be honest I also tried my SDS electric hammer.
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX That kinda dark green that shows every spec and is an oven in the summer.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

I have read about hiting the threaded part of the thing the sphere is conected to (can't remember what it's called) useing an alloy bar and a club hammer, it's then suposed to undo no problem, but I'd only try that as a very last resort.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

mark21td wrote:I have read about hiting the threaded part of the thing the sphere is conected to (can't remember what it's called) useing an alloy bar and a club hammer, it's then suposed to undo no problem, but I'd only try that as a very last resort.
As far as I know its the gearbox or clutch housing, an aluminum alloy casting and I'm very wary of hitting it, but may try that if I come across an alloy bar to cushion the blow.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Until recently, I've always managed to change my BX & Xantia spheres using a heavy duty chain wrench and long bar, but gave up with this method when changing accumulator sphere last month.

Having read of it on this forum, I resorted to 1/2" cold chisel (best not too sharp, after making first dent in sphere) and 2 1/2lb lump hammer, making the dent/purchase on widest circumference where there is the metal seam. It took perhaps 10-12 rapid blows before I thought I noticed fractional movement - eventual success. If nothing else, the impact may jar the thread so that you can go back to your original sphere removal tool. One difficulty with the accumulator is the restricted access, which is where the hammer and chisel come in handy.

Good luck - it WILL come off (eventually!)

Edit: I'd be VERY wary of hitting anything else!

Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

mark21td wrote:Found the artical I was on about

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... #pid151258
Thanks but this is the front one. Also note the original of that article was in this forum.
Last edited by rpaco on 12 Oct 2009, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Thanks for your suggestions re removing the sphere, but is that the problem? Reminder- car now sinks if left overnight, which has started since I changed the other 5 spheres. Will listen for ticking if not raining tomorrow.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your car wont be sinking down due to the acc. sphere being flat, its your anti sink which effects if the car settles over night.

Was this the correct sphere for the anti sink?

Must be something to do with that since it started at the time you fitted the new ones.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Is it not more likely to be the anti-sink valves or a leak in one of the rams?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:Your car wont be sinking down due to the acc. sphere being flat, its your anti sink which effects if the car settles over night.
Not necessarily true in that prior to the anti-sink valve closing the residual pressure stored within the accumulator helps maintain the ride height until the valve closes.

You mention that the car now rises as soon as the engine is started suggests that the accumulator is flat, this is more than likely due to the pump not needing to build up pressure within the accumulator. You can test the accumulator by running the engine with the car at normal ride height, allowing time for the height to settle then turn off the engine and sit on the rear boot lip. If the accumulator is good the car will rise back to normal ride height after 30 seconds or so, if it doesn't the accumulator is flat.

Whereabouts are you? The forum has several members who have the correct Plieades sphere removal tool who are likely to be a little more confident in various ways of undoing 'difficult' sphere's such as your accumulator.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

When I had a problem in removing accumulator sphere, I took of the Hydraulic pressure regulautor of the car and place the sphere in vice and turned the regulator and it came free fairly easily. :wink:

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You did not say how far the front and rear are dropping overnight. It is normal for the car to rise a bit after starting, to compensate for the drop due to your weight when you got back into the car.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I have the same problem for about 2-3 months and have written in this forum. Unfortunately not a solution yet but as one of the members (thanks PeterN) have replied this is not a "critical problem". The car rises to normal height but lowers to min overnight :roll:.

Lets hope that someone will come up with an answer. There is no visible green stuff marking under the car :) no leaks.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual