Leak off pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cox377

Leak off pipe

Post by cox377 »

Hello Guys,

Leak off pipe has decided to start leaking again after replacing it with stuff from the motor factors. This stuff seems to be a load of crap. Is there anything on the market, that can just be bought in lengths and doesnt cost the earth that can be used as a replacement?

CoXen
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

You could try some silicone tubing, this should remain flexible & not go hard like a lot of plastic pipe can.

Models shops should have silicone fuel tubing as it is used on Petrol / Nitro radio controlled models.

Take a look on ebay.....Search for silicone fuel tubing.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Silicone tubing is not fuel resistant unless it is the fluro silcone type and that is not generally available.
I don't normally like to recommend Pirtek as generally they don't have a clue but you should be able to get the correct type of tubing from them by the mtr.
Just in case your wondering I have many years experience in the automotive , industrial and motorsport hose industry. Actually , I do have some of this tubing but it's in storage and I wouldn't be able to dig it out very quickly.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I would have thought Silicone tubing from model shops for use on Petrol / Nitro radio controlled models would be fuel resistant.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It might be ok on nitro as that is mainly methanol with some nitromethane and castor oil. I don't think it's intended for petrol , as glow engines are not intended to run on it.
Diesel in a hot engine bay environment needs tubing made from at least a high nitrile compound , and on the leak back side it needs to be a high shore hardness to retain a good seal over a long period.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

HDI wrote:....Diesel in a hot engine bay environment needs tubing made from at least a high nitrile compound , and on the leak back side it needs to be a high shore hardness to retain a good seal over a long period.
I guess that rules out the plastic air tube used for air pumps on aquariums then....however I had it on my ZX TD for 7 years without a leak or any air intake problems :lol:

Had some silicone tube on my 2 stroke petrol RC buggy for a couple of years with no ill effects either.

Try it & see I say....you can read too much into things sometimes.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

You were lucky with that PVC tube. If I tried to use that it would lull me into thinking everything was ok , biding it's time until I was between 2 junctions 50 miles apart , at night , raining and just above freezing before letting go !!
Seriously though , clear PVC is made in a huge variety of qualities but there is really no way of knowing if you have good or bad unless it's marked somehow. There is a brand of plastic fuel tubing called Tigon , it's the dogs but difficult to get and expensive. It's a blend of Polyurethane and PVC and is yellow with a Tigon brand. However , as with most flexible plastics , it's max temperature is 60 Deg C. Tigon actually behaves very well right upto and beyond it's maximum , but common PVC will have softened considerably well before then so losing it's grip on the fitting.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the best leak off tubeing i find is the type that is cloth bound rubber fuel line,

comes as a length with two end caps in a blister pack, a good motor factors will sell it only a few quid,

although im totaly against this type of pipe as petrol fuel lines as it breaks down inside the cloth bindding then leaks petrol,

VW transporters were catching light at about two years old due to the use of this type of hose

regards malcolm
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Again , it depends on quality. BTW , the correct term is textile overbraided.
I have some Textile OB hose that is made to DIN spec and fully resistant to petrol & Diesel. When I was running a business in hose distribution we had constant problems with bad quality imported hose being sold against our good quality range at a lower price. Until customers had suffered a problem with the bad stuff we would lose their orders. I remember an issue once where a bus workshop changed from our fuel hose to a cheaper imported product and within 6 months 2 buses had gone up in flames and all the others suffered serious fuel leaks. Oh how I gloated when they came back cap in hand !!
The textile OB you've mentioned is probably just a low grade rubber tube with a loose overbraid. The rubber tube was probably just commercial grade , not suitable for fuel. Without any branding on the hose the manufacturer is almost immune from repercussions.
Unfortunately , hose is like tyres , it's all black and the typical customer cannot discern a difference except on price.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i just dont use the Textile OB hose for fuel line i only use the proper reinforced rubber fuel line which has fuel printed along it,

but i dont have any problems with the blister kit of leak off tubeing though,

regards malcolm
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Hose with a specific type branded on the outside is generally ok , but even then I have known air hose be branded as fuel hose to get rid of surplus stock !! There are some very unscrupulous people about !!
The only way to be certain is go for a known manufacturer from an approved stockist.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
cox377

Post by cox377 »

citronut wrote:i just dont use the Textile OB hose for fuel line i only use the proper reinforced rubber fuel line which has fuel printed along it,

but i dont have any problems with the blister kit of leak off tubeing though,

regards malcolm
Hello there, where do you get your reinforced rubber fuel line from?

CoXen
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i just buy fuel line from a well established trusted local motor factors,

but this is not what i use for leak off pipeing, i buy this in a blister pack specificly sold as leak off pipe,

i belive it labled MAFCO

regards malcolm