lower ball joint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

lower ball joint

Post by John Plum »

I didn't get the lower ball joint out of the hub yesterday evening, as planned.
On this one, the metal yielded to my chisels, metal too soft, and joint too hard stuck. I 've always managed before, hard stuck on my BX too.
I popped it down today to my local engineers Tiplers, a walk away..how lucky I am. Two cut out slots remained intact out of four. The same thing happened with their chisel and hammer, and all slots were lost..no purchase. They declined to try stilsons. So I've left it with them to grind out.

They say it's a slow job, and I may be paying for an hour + grinding (£50 for 1/1/2 hours grinding - an example). It's on old family firm, though the family is retired and its run by their staff engineers of 20 plus years. I never minded ever their fees in the past - mainly head work...and some blasting, they were very good indeed, and considered any custom job. Their fees were always incredibly low, and their work faultless, including custom performance jobs. But I think they've increased. I don't seem to mind paying them now. I like spending my money on their firm, though this fee increases overall costs .. and i might i've gone to the scrappy and selected one I could get the joint out on the spot..or is that wishful thinking! It's a large fee for me, because its a rare and unusual thing that I resort to this kind of help....my third time for drilling out since starting on engines in 1978. I appreciate the tools of workshop drilling out. , as well as a patient, steady hand and eye.
Its my luck, I know; I'm cool something goods around the corner, and I 'll sleep well tonight knowing it'll be done tomorrow am.

Continued cleaning, including the 'tray ' thing, which is off, and drying off paraffin. Some more red oxide, signs off rust gone ...I'll post some pics to enthuse you with that kind of thing.

Decided to go for semi-synthetic engine oil. Red MEG/OAT antifreeze. Found some citroen roof bars, pleased.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual