Insurance on a second car and adding a learner driver

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Insurance on a second car and adding a learner driver

Post by Xantic »

Hi
Perhaps someone will throw some light on this subject for me.
Before we start i know there is a law about fronting insurance but they class everyone as they are doing this when they are not, For those who have not heard of it, Its basicly just having insurance on a second car and adding a learner driver just to get it cheaper.

Ok so thats what i want to do in theory but, As i will be the main driver until my daughter has passed her test then when she does she can afford things on her own i can give her the car, so, for the time being i will own the car, I will be driving it apart form very occasionaly when she can have a go on a quiet road or industrial estate, She will be having driving lessons with a qualified instructor, I have no intention of disrupting this by giving her lessons at all.

Just the odd little go as they say.
Now i phoned my insurance company and they said NO, its illegal to front the insurance ..Time to change my insurance comapny when its due.
Obviously insurance comapnies will give me a good discount or even mirror my full no claims discount but not if i put a learner driver on the policy.

Sorry this is so long...
Does anyone know or anyone in the business of insurance that can advise me on getting a cheaper quote. 1k plus is madness for a cheap car after all its only a 998cc Micra.

I am fed up of this nanny state we live in, im not happy with being ruled in everything we do, after all, when it comes time to claim most insurance companies drag thier heels, about time they played fair.

Thanks for reading this, if i have sent you to sleep, enjoy the rest, if you can help or advise it would be appreciated.

Russ..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Insurance on a second car and adding a learner driver

Post by red_dwarfers »

Xantic wrote: Sorry this is so long...
Does anyone know or anyone in the business of insurance that can advise me on getting a cheaper quote. 1k plus is madness for a cheap car after all its only a 998cc Micra.
1k sounds about right. Shocking isn't it?:twisted: :twisted: Flamin' unbelievable. I've yet to see my premium reach the magic £1k, I reckon it will on renewal in March :D
Smaller cars do make a small difference to insurance but the age of the car also makes a difference. My Xantia was about £150 more expensive to insure than my previous poverty spec 1ltr 3cyl Corsa, I saved that money in fuel costs. Very new or old (early 90's and previous) cars tend to be cheaper for insurance and gender also make a big difference :twisted:

I am in total agreement with you Russ, utter madness...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You might try insuring your daughter in her own name but add an experienced driver with no insurance claims, as second driver - a family friend, not one of the family.
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

myglaren wrote:You might try insuring your daughter in her own name but add an experienced driver with no insurance claims, as second driver - a family friend, not one of the family.
Tried that Steve, got the same result, If i transfer my no claims onto the other car then i can get it for less than £400. Perhaps it might be good to do that and get a quote on my Xantia from fresh, at least there wont be a learner driver on there just an old git.. :D
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I got a quote of over £5K to insure my learner nephew on the Xantia.
Now he's got his test booked, his enquiries got him a 3rd-party quote of £600. As Steve says, my nephew was told having a low risk named driver on the youngsters policy will reduce his premium so we'll try that for the next round of quotes.

According to a money saving website (though this is old news) Norwich Union began a new insurance scheme (and I understand other companies have followed suit) - Pay As You Drive - aimed at youngsters who cannot afford the silly amounts being asked...

It involves paying an upfront fee (about £120 I think) which pays to have a tracker installed (good or bad? Can't decide) after which they are billed monthly for usage only. The tariffs work on things such as time, road type etc.
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

I just tried pay as you drive...

£1500... For gods sake..Wheres my lottery ticket.. :lol:
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Put the learner car as your main car with your daughter on and the xantia as a second with mirrored no claims. Best way to go then as your not fronting or fibbing about anything as you will for a time be the main driver. then when it comes to it your daughter can take out her own policy on the car while you are still fully insured to drive it and when your policy comes for renewal go back to a single car...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I woud expect thats going to be around the price your going to have to pay unfortunately.

My insurance is still quite steep in my opinion, im 22 and have been driving over 5 years, no accidents, 3 years no claims and it was just over £900 for my C5 4 months ago.

Kev, yours doesnt seem too bad for a Xantia at 19? Ive been getting quotes for HDi Xantias, they are around £1000! More than my C5! It doesnt seem to matter about spec or if its a 90 or 110 either, only a few pounds difference.

Insurance doesnt come down nearly as quick as you think it would :?

Have you tried putting your details in on the usual insurance search engines? Confused, go comapre etc? They should give you some idea.

If you can prove you will be the cars main user, then there will be no problem in putting your daughter on the policy.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Done the usual with the search engines, Best price was £388 with my daughter included but thats transfering my full no claims, thats fine, but now i need a good quote on the Xantia as starting fresh even for me i had a quote of £900.. I have been driving for 34 years, no claims, so as suggested, transfer the insurance to the Micra as the main car, then get them to mirror my no claims onto the Xantia is the only option.

Where theres a will theres a way..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Have you tried Admiral's Multi-car policies? I insure four of mine (other than the DS) for £800ish.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

MikeT wrote:I got a quote of over £5K to insure my learner nephew on the Xantia.
Now he's got his test booked, his enquiries got him a 3rd-party quote of £600. As Steve says, my nephew was told having a low risk named driver on the youngsters policy will reduce his premium so we'll try that for the next round of quotes.

According to a money saving website (though this is old news) Norwich Union began a new insurance scheme (and I understand other companies have followed suit) - Pay As You Drive - aimed at youngsters who cannot afford the silly amounts being asked...

It involves paying an upfront fee (about £120 I think) which pays to have a tracker installed (good or bad? Can't decide) after which they are billed monthly for usage only. The tariffs work on things such as time, road type etc.
PAYD sounds like Big Brother tactics with the tracker device, does it come with a volume control connection set up to keep the dba of the yooo(full on) music down, and a speed limiter! :wink:

Talking about BB I seen a few clips from America where they have a camera facing the driver, and the road infront, so it records what goes on, but won't keep the images after a certain period of time.

Although if the driver has an accident then it stores it permanently, and then police, the insurance company, courts etc can see what happened.

In the clips it showed drivers falling asleep at the wheel amongst other things.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Try this, new policy for a provisional license holder (26 though) with me as a named driver on the 306 = £400 quid, bargain!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;