CITROEN C5 2.2 HDI 25mpg!! Help!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pinmonster
My Cars:

CITROEN C5 2.2 HDI 25mpg!! Help!!!

Post by pinmonster »

Hi, Ive got a 2001 citroen C5 2.2 Hdi Auto, 164k miles. bought this car a few months ago and didnt really know what i was letting myself in for!, the in car display was showing, DIESEL FILTER BLOCKED, FUEL ADDITIVE LOW and then would flag up ANTIPOLLUTION FAULT and go into 'Limp Mode' and would only return a maximum of 25mpg even on a run, so.. we stripped and pressure washed the exhaust particle filter and took it to our local independent who replenished the eolys fluid, and cleared the stored codes, Happy days i thought, no more warning messages on the in car display. but its still only returning a maximum of 25 MPG! Can anyone give me some ideas whats causing this? before i go bankrupt :cry:
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Pinmonster, have no fear pal......follow this advice.

Call Steve at GSF liverpool when you can 0151 525 1764. Tell him that Vince (me) has asked if he can help you solve a problem.

Steve is ex Citroen and one of his best mates is a Citroen master technician who is now working independantly at a college.

Me and Steve had a similar conversation with him a week or so ago on Eolys fluid and lights being on, limp home mode etc. He will no doubt know the fault.

Youve done the hard bit, the Eolys fluid change and code reset, im sure your only a little bit away from the solution.

:wink:

Vince
Branch Manager
GSF Liverpool
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Let us know how you get on with this one :)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Frankly had it been me I would have knocked the filter out of the exhaust pipe filled the EOLYS tank with diesel and reset it, the bonus with this is it would give you a power boost of I estimate about 4BHP. The problem with cleaning the filter is that to do it properly is beyond DIY while you can pressure wash some of the carbon out the Cerine remains and after a while most of the blockage is probably Cerine rather than carbon. Citroen and other respectable suppliers wash the filters in chemical baths and even this doesn't get it all out hence the reduced mileage out of an exchange unit compared with a new one.

Now if I have this correct the car has only ever done 25MPG since you purchased it together with Anti Pollution Light (which usually has nothing to do with the FAP system) and limp mode. you don't say if you have changed the diesel filter.

I assume that you still have these warnings together with the engine managment light.

Frankly trying to find out what exactly is wrong on these cars without
access to a Lexia is difficult verging on the impossible and I believe generally more expensive in the long run.

So what you really need is a session on a Lexia this should tell you much more about what the system thinks is wrong.

Now if you want to try a gamble my best guess is that the turbo and / or the swirl valve system is not working correctly both of these are intimately connected and failures in this area will cause the symptoms you describe (with the exception of the Diesel Filter which is self explanatory)

There is on this site a couple of comprehensive threads on this subject including some quite simple checks that you can do just search for "swirl valves" or look for posts with my name on them you will find the articles eventually. (May 09 C2.2 Hdi Poor Economy)

Cachaciero