Normal oil temp ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Normal oil temp ??

Post by HDI »

What is reckoned to be the normal oil temp on the Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive oil temp gauge ?

Also , if the oil temp sensor is dead , as it is on mine , would that cause issues with normal running due to the ECU getting the wrong signal ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I can only speak of the Activa and the S1 V6 but in those, a normal reading is between 90 and 100 degrees when well up to temperature. It'll take a lot longer than the water to achieve temperature and on cold days it'll not go much above 50 degrees for a good 10 or 15 miles as the sender is at the front of the sump and in a cooling blast of air. That and an alloy sump keeps everything cool down there and if it has the normal sandwich oil cooler behind the filter, the well-known cool running of the HDi will keep the oil temperature down too.

The sender is very likely to communicate with the ECU. My 2.1TD had an oil temperature sender in the sump (but no gauge) and I alweays assumed this fed a signal to the ECU. It'll only be of secondary importance after the coolant temperature sensor though.

A Lexia session will quickly show up if the sender is duff and the engine ECU is running on a default oil temperature valve.

Low oil temperature is not good as it won't get hot enough to boil off condensation.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

There won't be a problem with the oil temp , it's just the sender thats failed. Never worked from when I got the car. Problem is that it's on the back of the block and I've been told that the exhaust manifold has to be removed to allow the sender , which is also the oil level sensor , to be withdrawn ! So I'm not exactly falling over myself to do it !!

Someone at Citroen dropped the ball when that was designed !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !