Clutch Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

Clutch Replacement

Post by fangy »

Hi
About a week ago, the clutch on my Xantia 1900td started feeling a bit weird, it had slightly more travel and when I tried pulling away slowly or do fine maneuvers there was a lot of judder, but the clutch still seemed to function all right otherwise.
I took it out yesterday and it was the same, but when I started it again at the filling station, it had almost gone completely and I had to take my foot almost all the way of the pedal before it would move. The further I went on my way back home, the worse it got and was slipping badly going uphill.
I've tried adjusting the cable, but didn't seem to help any.
I think I need a new clutch.
I found one half the price of anywhere else, it says it's new but it's a two piece with the thrust bearing already fitted. Could I use this one? and why is it much cheaper than any other one?
Thanks in advance.
95 Xantia VSX 1.9td, Fj1100, z-750 hardtail
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Fangy,

Where have you found it and what make is it? If its a "National" clutch or some such it could be a re-con hence the price?

As they are a reasonably large job to do then id make sure its a good quality one your sticking in :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Vince

i will only use VALEO or OE clutch kits,

and yes the thrust bearing is attached to the presure plate fingers, as these clutch's are what i call back to front as the thrust bearing pulls the presure plate fingers, instead of pushing them

regards malcolm
fangy

Post by fangy »

Hi,
I'm not sure what make it is, I've put a link to the page where I found it,

http://www.ekmpowershop10.com/ekmps/sho ... -361-p.asp

Have you ever heard of the shop/clutch?

I wasn't sure if the bearing should be attached or not because I found three piece kits that where nearly twice the price.

How many hours labour do you think a garage would take to fit a new clutch? After looking at the manual I think it's my only option.
Thanks,
Fangy.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The clutch you've linked to comes with a guarantee, it'd be wise to find out whether the guarantee will cover the cost of the labour to replace the clutch if was still under guarantee when it failed.

I replaced a cluch on a 1.9TD Xantia some time ago, the release bearing was separate and had to be clipped in to place. Only after the cover plate had been aligned and secured was the release bearing installed because if the release beaing was already installed it may have interfered with aligning the clutch.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

fangy wrote:Hi,
I'm not sure what make it is, I've put a link to the page where I found it,

http://www.ekmpowershop10.com/ekmps/sho ... -361-p.asp

Have you ever heard of the shop/clutch?

I wasn't sure if the bearing should be attached or not because I found three piece kits that where nearly twice the price.

How many hours labour do you think a garage would take to fit a new clutch? After looking at the manual I think it's my only option.
Thanks,
Fangy.
That will be a remanufactured / recon clutch kit for that price....I'm with Vince & Malcolm on this one....only fit a quality clutch....you certainly don't want the hassel of having to do the job again or having to argue with them for labour costs that you probably won't get...it's just not worth the risk.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
fangy

Post by fangy »

I think I'll go for a GSF clutch, If I remember right they're about £85 ish, I don't want the hassle and expense of replacing a recon clutch a year or so down the line.
Thanks,
Fangy.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Any use to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Citroen-B ... 0203705850

Genuine Citroen Berlingo Xsara Xantia ZX Clutch Kit KIT part number 2050C3
Someone have confirmation on parts.net for the oe number applications?

Andrew

ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

I see your Xantia is a 95 model. I'm not expert on these but I wonder if one of these earlier Xantia's might have the push type bearing/clutch. :?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ken newbold wrote:I see your Xantia is a 95 model. I'm not expert on these but I wonder if one of these earlier Xantia's might have the push type bearing/clutch. :?
My '93 1.9TD had a pull type clutch and that was a very early one so I reckon all 1.9TDs will have the same pull clutch.

We put a non-Valeo/LUK clutch into Xac's 1.9TD a long while ago now and despite my concerns at the time, it's been fine. That one was around £50 complete. Wonder if Xac can recall the name of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

kawalski wrote
"if the release beaing was already installed it may have interfered with aligning the clutch."

the thrust bearing should be attatched to the presure plate before fitting with this type of clutch,

the trick is to remove the clutch actuatting arm from the fork spindle, this allows the fork to rotate out and back in on removal and refitting

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
ken newbold wrote:I see your Xantia is a 95 model. I'm not expert on these but I wonder if one of these earlier Xantia's might have the push type bearing/clutch. :?
My '93 1.9TD had a pull type clutch and that was a very early one so I reckon all 1.9TDs will have the same pull clutch.

We put a non-Valeo/LUK clutch into Xac's 1.9TD a long while ago now and despite my concerns at the time, it's been fine. That one was around £50 complete. Wonder if Xac can recall the name of it...
It was a transmech clutch from eurocarparts, was about £50 and slightly heavier than the valeo once changed, which for me is a bonus as I like to be able to feel what the clutch is doing :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

citronut wrote:kawalski wrote
"if the release beaing was already installed it may have interfered with aligning the clutch."

the thrust bearing should be attatched to the presure plate before fitting with this type of clutch,

the trick is to remove the clutch actuatting arm from the fork spindle, this allows the fork to rotate out and back in on removal and refitting

regards malcolm
I was querying was whether or not the clutch alignment tool would be able to align the clutch to the flywheel with the release bearing in the way. If you don't get it aligned properly, it makes getting the gearbox input shaft through the friction plate into the bush in the flywheel centre a little difficult to say the least.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Kowalski wrote:[I was querying was whether or not the clutch alignment tool would be able to align the clutch to the flywheel with the release bearing in the way.
Yes, you can, no problem at all as long as the tool is deep and slim.

The blue plastic one that comes free with a new Valeo clutch kit is rubbish and barely up to the job.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

9 times out of 10 i dont use an alignment tool at tool at tool,

i feel the friction plate edge at the edge's of the presure plate to get it eaqual all the way around were ever you can get your finger tip in, works for me every time so long as it aint a presure plate that you cant get your fingers under the edges, (well that is all the fingers you own)

some presure plates are sunk down into the fly wheel surface so this trick dose not work

regards malcolm