405 r/h CV boot replacement-any tips?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bumperman
My Cars:

405 r/h CV boot replacement-any tips?

Post by bumperman »

I've searched this forum, but this is the only useful post I can find, but he doesn't say much about the re-assembly!

mikgram

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:33 pm
I had to replace a driveshaft because of a split rubber boot
if you take off the wheel exposing the caliper there {on my car}is two bolts holding the caliper to the shock absorber assemblly when released push the driveshaft towards the gearbox hold the driveshaft
and get your assistant to try and pull the hub off the splined end
Don`t pull the driveshaft out of the gearbox unless you want lots of oil all over the ground. if the caliper slides off the shaft stand it on something keeping the tension off the flexible brake hose.Bingo
remove old boot tighten up inboard side then woosh in full sachet of
grease caliper/hub back on pull the boot onto the hub side make secure tighten everything up finished

Have any of you guys got any tips?

Thanks

John
93 Peugeot 405 STDT ser 2 Estate manual Alhambra Red
89 Peugeot 505 GTi Estate manual Winchester Grey
87 Peugeot 505 GTi Estate manual Winchester Grey
96 Xantia td SX Estate RP6910 manual Quartz(silver)
martyb2
My Cars:

Post by martyb2 »

the cv joint on the 405 comes off the end of the shaft, use a block of wood and knock it off with big hammer, once you disconnected it from the hub, being careful not to pull it out of the gearbox, but if its the passenger side, as long as the car is up high enough, then the oil shouldnt spill out anyway, and if its the drivers side, split it from the inboard cv in the middle of the driveshaft for ease of getting into
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A good sharp outward tap is required to release the snap ring that holds the CV joint onto the shaft. I find the best way is to use a metal drift about 1" in diameter, hold it against the shaft while pressing against the joint, a good hard wack with a fairly heavy hammer should release the joint.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

DO NOT USE THEM ORIBLE STREACH GAITORS, especially if the old one is split wide open, as the joint will be full of grit/crap,

what ever you choose as a drift only drift at the castleations tight against the shaft,

you MUST NOT strike hit the high tensile steel cage that holds the ball bearings as this can/will fracture/crack,

once the CV joint is of tilt the centre as far to one side as possible, this allows you to prize the ball bearings out one and sometimes two at a time,

just tilt another direction to get the others out,

once all the balls are out you will find two opposite bearing holes in the cadge are more elongated than the others,
tilt the cadge on its side in the joint body with these two holes at the wall of the joint body then you can lift the hole cage and centre out from the body,

now rotate the centre so two opposite crowns/castelations are at the two elongated holes, and move one crown/castalation into one of the long holes and tilt the other one up and out of the cadge,

now give it all a good clean in petrol and re,assemble,then cut the corner from the grease sachet and squeeze grease into and around each bearing, then the rest down the centre hole,

Now fir the new gaiter onto the shaft, make sure the snap ring is in place and in good order/complete,

slot the joint onto the start of the shaft splines and if need be guide the snap ring back into its slot in the shaft as you put slight load onto the joint and against the snap ring,

once the snap ring is held in its slot by the joint tap the threaded end of the joint onto the shaft (best spin the nut onto the threads till its flush before tapping/bashing)

then any grease left in the sachet squeeze into the gaiter and finish fitting it to the joint (preferably with LIGAREX and NOT CABLE TIES)

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:make sure the snap ring is in place and in good order/complete,
Cor, yes! I once trusted a garage to fit a new CV boot on my old Sinker... After that on sharp left-handers I'd hear a grinding noise...

Itw as because the garage had no refitted the snap ring and the driveshaft was almost falling out of the joint on left-handers...

And yes, cable Ties are rubbish for CV boots. Ligarex is the only stuff to use...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the_weaver
My Cars:

Re: 405 r/h CV boot replacement-any tips?

Post by the_weaver »

Gsfcarparts sell gaiters cheap. I'd recommend getting the right one rather than an universal one.
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.