Diagnostics: Xantia tailgate + reverse lights out?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

Diagnostics: Xantia tailgate + reverse lights out?

Post by John Plum »

You might spot a pattern here:

I suspect this pattern, both tailgate and reverse lights are not working, is due to one fault. Just taken the car over, so don't know if they first occurred simultaneously.
Other , probably unrelated faults, and indications:
  • Airbag warning lamps, both front and side, are also on all the time;
    n/s and d/s interior lamps do not work.
    map lights work OK.
    the rear lights/stop lights on the body (not tailgate work)
    boot lamp switches on OK when tailgate is lifted.
The report form the garage (to prev owner) :
'a probable fault in the lighting circuit at the steering wheel and replacement components were circa £300 - again new parts plus labour'
I understand the tailgate lamps are leds, and do not blow - is that also true of interior lamps?
Last edited by John Plum on 30 Sep 2009, 20:31, edited 2 times in total.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would think the only factory fitted LED external lighttimng will be the centre brake light bulb's,

the other fault i dont think could be faulty dash switches if your outter rear wing side lights/indicators are working,

this is more likely to be broken wires were the loom goes across from the body to the tailgate

regards malcolm
John Plum
My Cars:

Cigar any one?

Post by John Plum »

Dead Right Malcom: There is no pattern here. In the dark, raising the tailgate, I found the tailgate lights + No.plates + boot light , came on and went off at a critical lowering position.
So consider it fixed for now, short of doing it.

Airbags: Good News of sorts: cause of Main air bag warning light ON:
Noticed some Hamlet Cigar ash around the 'passenger airbag off' keyswitch, twiddled it and sprayed contact cleaner...SORTED!
- but probably temporarily, needs to be stripped and cleaned. - Must buy better cigars. :wink:
How would I get at this switch, I don't suppose it just pulls out? :(

Side Airbag: this item also went off completely for about 2-3 minutes, after I had twiddled the the underseat wires and pressed the union; Feel fairly confident the faults as good as captured. It's dark, and the cars outside. So, finish the job tomorrow.

Reverse Lights: That would only leave the reverse lights, which I shall begin to trace back, starting from the fuse.

Interior lights: I can't seem to find a fuse listed in Haynes for them though in the Owners Handbook it gives F22-F28.
Also I took a look at their covers, not sure if they are LEDs or not, and couldn't see an obvious way to prise these off...didn't want to break them.
Last edited by John Plum on 30 Sep 2009, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
John Plum
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

John wrote
"Also I too a look at the covers, not sure if they are LEDs or not, and couldn't see an obvious way to prise these off...didn't want to break them."

prize what/which covers off the exteriar tailgate lighting you open the flap inside the tailgate behind the T/G lights, not sure how to gain access to the caentre brake light though

regards malcolm
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Cheers Malcom. Useful tip. I actually meant the interior lamps..sorry, I've improved my formatting for clarity.
I think I'll easily find some advice here in the posts on stripping the tailgate to get access to its wires.
John Plum
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi John

My guess at the interior light problem would be either a broken wire in the pillar or more than likely the bulb/holder in the light itself.

You can prise these off with a flat head screwdriver.Feel down the edge of the clear plastic to find the lip.If memory serves me correct they have lugs at the bottom of the clear plastic that locate into the top of the grey pillar cover.I think i usually try to prise them from the top of the clear plastic out towards the seat so as not to damage the lugs :) :)

Reckon the tail/reversing light issue is all down to a broken earth in the wiring in the top of the tailgate.Someone has posted pics on here of the damage caused to the wiring cant remember who :oops: :oops:

Colin
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Cigar any one?

Post by MikeT »

John Plum wrote: the 'passenger airbag off' keyswitch, twiddled it and sprayed contact cleaner...SORTED!
- but probably temporarily, needs to be stripped and cleaned. - Must buy better cigars. :wink:
How would I get at this switch, I don't suppose it just pulls out? :(

Interior lights: I can't seem to find a fuse listed in Haynes for them though in the Owners Handbook it gives F22-F28.
Also I took a look at their covers, not sure if they are LEDs or not, and couldn't see an obvious way to prise these off...didn't want to break them.
Lever the entire cover (that the airbag switch sits in) off the height adjuster and access the switch from under it. I used a large screwdriver, the tabs are substantial so don't be afraid to remove the kid gloves. :wink: To avoid marking, use something soft between the levered surfaces.

I'm pretty sure my interior light lenses just pull off. I think you hold the lower two sides and pull the top sides away as if hinged at the bottom or vice-versa - I could be wrong - but do have faith the tabs will stand a bit of roughness whatever you try.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Estate models have this problem of broken cables and cables shields damaged inside the outlet. I have fixed broken aux brake light cable there. Fixed 3 damaged cable shields. I remember counting around 9-10 cables in a bundle :roll: AND the water pipe of the tailgate washer :!: All in that outlet. This was the RIGHT side. Left side outlet has less cables in it and less chance for damaged cables.

I have also heard about ground cable problems, corrosion. I didn't have this problem.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Reckon the tail/reversing light issue is all down to a broken earth in the wiring in the top of the tailgate.Someone has posted pics on here of the damage caused to the wiring cant remember who..

A ha! noted well, Colin - good to meet you once more - and now a xantia owner (i think you advised me on buying last week). Doh! I should have realised! - I 've spent so much time prep reading in two days, resisting the temptation to just get stuck in, my head is wobbling. :? Glad I had the patience to wait for instructions on opening the lid (remember brittle BX covers - they wanted glue to keep them on).

Bingo :!: Mike....marvellous. Pleasure to meet you: just what I needed.
VertVega: This was the RIGHT side. Left side outlet has less cables in it and less chance for damaged cables.

Correct: my break is the right side...on a 2000 A.D. car: Thanks very much and pleased to meetcha.:) I guess this persisting weakness, is tough to solve really.. always vunerable.

BTW: Tried to get my car avatar uploaded, but it failed every time, checked permissions. Will try an offsite image next. The cars white, just as my daughter requested. But already I think I've got a v. good car here.
Last edited by John Plum on 02 Oct 2009, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

I have fixed broken aux brake light cable there. Fixed 3 damaged cable shields.
Searched hi and low last night, couldn't find a post with pics or description of a repair to the tailgate cable. Could you take me through it? How you did it?
John Plum
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Hi John, Nice to meet you too. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.
admiral51 wrote: Someone has posted pics on here of the damage caused to the wiring cant remember who :oops: :oops:
Colin
I haven't seen them and I didn't add pictures before about the aux brake wire fixing :( BUT if you give me some time I'll come with some pictures :)

Image The most essential tool is/was an Abiko press tool. I made connections before and after the tailgate outlet.

John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

The most essential tool is/was an Abiko press tool. I made connections before and after the tailgate outlet
cheers, VertVega just what I need to know, and what I was tempted to do.
I told myself be patient, get conformation. Glad I did. Glad you answered.

I still have an aversion to pressed contacts form motorcycle life, ignition repairs, and bx towbars.... I always liked brass nipples and solder.
Last edited by John Plum on 02 Oct 2009, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.
John Plum
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I recall the remedy description (i.e. - extend the existing wiring to relieve the stress) and the pictures but can't remember who or when.
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Yeah, I did, from skimming the posts three days ago, but last night I searched for an hour and couldn't find it in loads of search results - all the obvious ones. Ce la Vie!
John Plum
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Here is a picture taken after everything was working. In order to reach the wires I just sliced the rubber.
This is certainly not the proper way, I know. Image
If you have time and patience you can sort out a better way to access wires. Finally I used electric isolation tape to "fix" the sliced outlet.

In the picture brown colored wire is my addition for aux break.
Black hose is the rear wiper's watre supply, red wire is rear glass heater's (~ 1 inch exposed sheating!), other thick wire Yellow-Green is the ground, others green colored and 2 gray colored. Cables have four digit numbers on them, "easy" to track :lol: You need to pull some gray plastic trims away from the rear pillar and tailgate trim completely off.

Don't hesitate to ask, we are ready to help :)

Edit: Now your avatar is visible. Beautiful.
Last edited by VertVega on 01 Oct 2009, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.