My ZX Head Gasket Nightmare *updated*

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

My ZX Head Gasket Nightmare *updated*

Post by Chlorate »

Earlier this year I bought myself a ZX Volcane turbodiesel off ebay, as a bit of a birthday present to replace my old 106.
At first, it was great. £500, a year's MOT, good condition apart from a few dents, economical, fun to drive, cheap insurance.
All that good stuff.

Then, after a few days, the fun started.

My friend and I drove back to his place after lectures for a lunchbeer. And noticed that the radiator fans came on whilst driving. The temperature gauge wasn't showing any overheat, but it was a bad sign. When we got to his place (a good 20 miles away) the radiator was stone cold, and all hoses leading to the radiator were under incredible pressure.

We knew before buying the car that the XUD series engines, apart from being superb little diesels, had a tendancy to blow their head gaskets if
you didn't look after the antifreeze.

Thinking that maybe possibly there was just an air lock in the system, we refilled and bled the system thoroughly. Then took it for another drive, when the same thing happened again it was obvious the head gasket had gone.
Learning you've bought a lemon in the first couple of weeks isn't nice.
Knowing that a garage would charge more than the car's worth for the job was even worse. We figured we'd do it ourselves. However since we are both engineering students we didn't have enough time so decided to wait until the holidays.

So for the next few weeks I got into a routine of refilling and bleeding the coolant, every time I drove anywhere. Since there was no water in the oil and vice-versa and it wasn't overheating at all, we figured this would be ok for the time being.
And things were for a while.

Theeen it started overheating, a lot. The first time I had to pull over on the M20 to let it cool down and refill with water, only just having carried enough water to refill it. After that, everything got ugly. Being my only mode of transport, I was stuck without it.
It was getting more and more poorly over the next couple of days, and I knew that driving it was inevitably doing it even more damage.
Eventually it gave up in a petrol station outside of Brighton, I was on my way to Gatwick (at 6:30am) to pick up somebody and it had overheated. So I did the usual trick of filling and bleeding it.
But it refused to start. After waking up my friend and picking up the person from Gatwick, I called out the AA and got towed back.

So recently my friend and I have finally got around to fixing it, last week we put in a day to take the cylinder head. After lots of swearing at the haynes book and wondering "now where did that spring come from" we got the head off. To our dismay it was a mess.

Apparently it had been done before.
And the head was faced with sandpaper.

The head was also rather badly warped, so would need skimming properly. Taking the head to a engine refurb shop seemed like the nightmare would soon be over, with lots of talk of "yeah, that'll be ok, £90+vat"
Yesterday I travelled the 80 miles to Brighton so we could refit it. And the shop was closed. Great.
This morning I called them to see if they were open "Ooooh, the XUD, we did a pressure test and the whole casing is cracked around one of the waterways, never seen anything like that."
*head approaching desk*
So now I've bought myself a brand new head complete with valves and camshaft. Hoping to god that it'll finally be sorted.

Car: £500
Insurance: £600
Tax: £145
Head set: £30
Pressure test: £god knows
New head: £280
Used car nightmare: priceless.
:D
Last edited by Chlorate on 13 Oct 2009, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hey new person, welcome.

Sounds like quite a rough introduction to your car :(
Guess the head probably went, then was 'fixed' just good enough to sell the car, its horrible when some unscrupulous individual sells a car knowing full well its dodgy :evil:

Worry not, there is plenty of assistance on this forum, with many a wise contributor. :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing happened.
There was a lot of suspicious goings on with that seller, ah well live and learn I guess. Will be a cracking little runaround when it's done though :)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Chlorate, bad luck there :(

a cracking runaround ? you dont mean that do you ? :twisted:

your not too far away from me it seems..

did my TD head last year, there is a bit in the xantia blog about it.. with hindsight maybe getting a decent second hand head and skimming it may have been a cheaper option.. depends on your time and tools and space etc :) hope its all going to be ok now.. are you going to run it on WVO ?

John
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Close to you actually, live in Ashford, student at Sussex uni. I saw the Xantia head job thread on here, looks like the Xantia Haynes book was more handy. There was one moment in the ZX book where it said "remove the fuel filter/thermostat housing, as described in chapter 4" turned to chapter 4...where is it?
I was looking at second hand heads and getting them skimmed, but all things considered it would have been about the same price as the brand new one I found anyway.
Was thinking of running on veggie oil, it's a pretty good little motor to do it with. It's got the Bosch fuel pump and heated filter. But new veggie oil is about the same as diesel nowdays and I can't seem to find a good source of WVO.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

may be able to help re WVO...
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Ooh, interesting.
Really should focus on getting my engine back together at the moment though.
Are stock fuel filters good enough to deal with WVO?
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

I'm the friend in question. Au fait with tools and general engine stuff, never actually pulled an XUD apart despite having owned three BX TD's in my earlier years!

My first BX's HG blew and was done properly and continued on for many years thereafter, so I reckon a good head job to be one giant tick in the box for an XUD. The chance of a brand new fully loaded head vs a recon seemed pretty good for £240 (not my money tho).

The one thing I'd love to have for when we go to reassemble it is a photo of the pulley end of the engine, dust shields removed. We kind of just undid everything till it came apart, and as Alex xays, that tensioner spring is a bit of a grey area....
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Martin try my blog ?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Think I may have solved the mystery of the spring...Thanks :D
You don't mind me saving a copy of your photo of the timing belt do you?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:D go for it
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

XUD heads stand a very good chance of cracking if they boil, you must make sure that the cooling system is properly bled when you reassemble it or the same thing could happen again. These engines are brilliant when going well but the cooling has to be right. The 2.1 version has a redesigned head and cooling system and I have never heard of one cracking, I have boiled two of mine with no apparant ill effects.

Peter
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Yeah, the cooling system on these things is silly, bleed points being higher than the filler...
Nice big funnel usually does the trick.
Was interested in getting an XUD11, they'd fit rather nicely into the same bay without much modification :twisted:. But they're so hard to get hold of.
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Alex means one of these funnels - just perfect for wedging into the rad cap and bringing the height of the water up beyond the upper bleed points.

Cheers for the links!
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

**Update**

The shiny new head is on!

However most of the bits that connect to it are still lying about in the boot. Wanted to take a good swing at it on wednesday, however rain stopped play after a couple of hours. And again today before we even started. Better luck next week.

Done so far:
- New head and gasket in place
- Injectors cleaned up and fitted
- New glowplugs
- Brake vaccuum pump refitted
- Fuel filter and stat housing mostly complete
- Ongoing battle with LH engine mount
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: