Dispatch Plip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pikecrazy
My Cars:

Dispatch Plip

Post by pikecrazy »

Bought van a few months ago without plip working :(

Checked battery today in my local motor factors but is ok

When he pressed the button though it only lit up the infra red tester red in the shop and not green :evil:

Any ideas folks
:?:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

If you've got a digital camera or camcorder then you should be able to see the infrared LED flashing if you point the plip at the lens and look at the screen. Then try pressing the button a few times to see if there's anything coming out at all. If you can't see anything then try it in a darkened room. You can do the same thing with your known working TV remote control to check if the test method works.

Plips tend to get dropped. If there's no flashing from the LED and the battery is ok then I would suspect some damage from being dropped. This might cause cracking on the printed circuit board usually around big, heavy components such as battery contacts, switches and LED's. If you think you can get the case open without damaging it then get a magnifying glass and a good light and inspect the PCB for cracks. Water damage might be another thing to look for. A leaking battery at some point in the past could also cause a lot of damage which you might be able to see. If you can get to the switch contacts for the buttons then you might be able to check if the switches are working if you've got a multimeter. Take the battery out of the plip first and use a resistance range on the meter.

If the LED is flashing then the plip might need programming. I don't know anything about this van but some plips can be programmed/reprogrammed etc.

Paul
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

the_weaver wrote:If you've got a digital camera or camcorder then you should be able to see the infrared LED flashing if you point the plip at the lens and look at the screen. Then try pressing the button a few times to see if there's anything coming out at all. If you can't see anything then try it in a darkened room. You can do the same thing with your known working TV remote control to check if the test method works.
I did the reverse of this yesterday to see if the remote for a freeview box was working. Use my car plipper. Zilch on the camera.

Then realised it was wireless, not IR, and all the lights on my car were flashing :oops: