406 fans / STOP light on dash

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobq

406 fans / STOP light on dash

Post by bobq »

HI, I have just started having some weird and not so wonderful goings on with my '406. The fans seem to be on full as soon as the temp guage reads 70 degrees and then stay on until I turn the car off. At this point they turn off.
Then within a few minutes they fire up again until they have cooled the engine enough i suppose.
This happens with the car having the a/c on or off.
Also I had to do a slightly longer journey and on my way back I had the STOP light illuminate on the dash, I was overtaking at this point and was about to pull onto the hard shoulder when it went out. This happened a few times and seemed to happen when I was accelerating.
I continued the rest of the way home at 55mph behind a truck and didn't have another occurence.
The car restarted ok when at home and I have used it since. The fan problem is still happening but so far the light hasn't come on!
The car wasn't going much more than 65-70mph when it happened and I wasn't accelerating very hard.
At no point did the temp guage go over 80 degrees.
The car is a 1996 406 2.1 TD.
Has any one any ideas what could be the problem?
Many thanks
Cliff
scottishpaul

ive seen simliar on a xantia

Post by scottishpaul »

but it was a bad conection or relay fault roundabout slam pannel or grill if i mind right
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp