Play in new bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Play in new bearings

Post by the_weaver »

I bought new rear drums and wheel bearings for my ZX 1.9D and kept them for years before I eventually got around to having the bearings pressed in by an engineering company. When I fitted the drums I found that the bearings had play in them. When I rocked the road wheel I could definitely feel a knock. As the MOT was due I refitted the old hubs which had no play in them despite doing over 200,000 miles.

The hub nut was correctly torqued to 200 Nm with a good quality torque wrench. I tried swapping the drums over to the other side and the play was still present. The hubs and bearings were bought from a reputable supplier.

Has anybody else had this? Is some play ok or not?

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just two weeks ago sorted out a freind dersh rear bearings, a garage in Eastbourne Sussex failed the car on rear bearings two years ago, then again this year on the same, the owner supplied said garage with new OE bearing kits the first time round,

(exscuse the pun) bearing in mind 2CV's almost never need bearing replaced,

my freind was not happy with this faliure so bought the car over for me to sort, on removeing the O/S drum i found the T.W.A.T.S had left the old seal on the stub axle 1/4 of an inch thick, then fitted the new seal into the drum as well, even though they had tightend the hub nut fully home the old seal did not allow the inner bearing race's to be tight against the sholder on the stub axle,

so how they passed there bad workman s**t i do not know, as there must have been more play after they fitted the new bearings than with the original ones they failed in the first place,

all the years i have worked on dersh's i cant remember haveing to fit new bearings unless someone had damaged the seals

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

There are a lot of bad garages out there. Bad workmanship like that is the reason I hate taking my car to the garage.