xantia air con smell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete woods
My Cars:

xantia air con smell

Post by pete woods »

The last few times i've put thea/c on there has been a horrible smell from the air vents. It's not happened on previous cars I've had with a/c. Any idea whats causing it? More to the point how do I get rid of it?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Try leaving the aircon running, but turned up to 'hot'. Also, if it hasn't been changed, put in a new filter. The smell you're getting is caused by bacteria in the pipework.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

If it's not a stupid question how long will it need to be on hot for?
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello everyone,
I've had the same problem with my Xantia, changing the pollen/cabin filter seemed to cure it as it was full of s***. Regular use of air con helps too as when it's running, the evaporator seems to "self clean" because of the condensation that forms on it's surface and then runs off.[^]
Cheers, Rich. (Xantia HDi Exclusive)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

after changing the pollen filter there is a anti bacteria spray (i think it's made by Forte,about £10)available that you switch on a/c set to re-circulate and put it inside the car with the nozzle locked open,it works its way through the system.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

On most car air/cons they have a drain from the evaporator which have what appears to have a flattened end on the hose. The theory is that when a bit of water gets in there, it slowly drips out but when a load is there its own weight pushes this flattened section open enough to self drain. After a while this hose can tend to stick together which is usually ably assisted by the fact that most manufacturers insist on positioning them directly above the exhaust pipe so they almost vulcanize together. If moisture builds up in there it will just turn stagnent & form mildew & subsequently get that 'orrible smell. Next time the car's in the air, go looking for the drain & carefully open it; don't poke ant sharp metal objects up it though in case you poke a hole through the evaporator.
An anti bacterial soray as has been suggested will alleviate the problem to a degree & will possibly be even a good idea even after you've opened the drain up. The one used in the trade out here is called "Glen 20" It was the one they used to spray in the cabins of International aircraft just prior to landing and was commonly used in Hospitals & as a precaution against legonnaires disease in commercial air conditioning.
Alan S