Citroen C5 HDi engine dies

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steve1951
My Cars:

Citroen C5 HDi engine dies

Post by steve1951 »

Hi all A few weeks ago I bought a 51 plate Citroen C5 2 litre HDi lx. The first day it developed a coolant leak. I was given advice on the forum, but due to every possible thing going wrong and illness I only managed to get it sorted yesterday. Thanks for the help.

However went to drive her today, after about 3/4 of a mile she died completely. Just instantanious no misfire or hesitation. Tried to start her, no way spun over but wouldnt fire. I noticed the engine management light had come on. Checked all I could see for loose cables etc. nothing.

Went away came back unlocked her, thinking what the L do I do., Turned key started first time. but engine warning light still on Set off, after about 1/2 mile died. Wierd thing is when the engine stops the heater stops as well, but the other lights stay on as well as the stop light and a red one beside the temp gauge. Which reads just below hafway and no sign of overheating. Coolant level ok.

Wondered about immobiliser locked car unlocked again engine fired drove on died locked unlocked fired up ran couple of miles died again.

I desperately had to get somewhere so I continued did app 30 miles there and back. this die, lock and unlock and start must have happened 30 + times.

The car has traffic master which is lapsed. and a gps snooper whatever that is. It also has a leaking front calliper but have topped up the fluid so its not that.

I have driven her twice since I bought her. first time coolant leak now
this. I am at my wits end, can anyone throw any light on this.

The only other thing I noticed when the engine died, there was a voice saying traffic master twice straight after.

I ami extremely sorry to be so long winded but have tried to give as much detail as possible.

Thanks

Steve
steve1951
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can't help with the problem as such but ignore the Trafficmaster, it will come on after the engine has stalled and at various other times too, although disabled.
Press the Trafficmaster button above the drive's cubby hole for ten seconds to kill it - until next time.
GPS snooper - haven't the foggiest :shock:

You may be onto something with the immobiliser though.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Isn't the useual, start, stall, die problem the Fuel Lift pump in the tank???

Or is this a different type of problem to that one??

Agreed: Traffic master is a right pain! I get that with Xantias, everytime Im messing with ignition... she shouts, re-press the TM button and she'll shut up on that particular announcment..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Sounds to me like it could be the low pressure diesel pump that's got an intermittant fault.

There's lot's of stories of the HDi engine cutting out due to a faulty low pressure pump.

The low pressure pump is mounted in the fuel tank area and feeds diesel to the high pressure pump. The low pressure diesel pump needs to feed the diesel to the high pressure pump at a pressure of around 1 bar otherwise the high pressure pump cuts out and the engine stops.

When the low pressure pump packs up you sometimes see bits of debris caught in the fuel filter.

EDIT: Ha Ha..... just beat me to it... I agree with your diagnosis
Last edited by KevMayer on 25 Sep 2009, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Thats 2 of us then pointing towards the same thing :lol: :lol: 8)

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Definitely sounds like a fuel problem.Apart from the pump how about a blocked fuel filter ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

GPS snooper is a speed camera warning device.
It has a location list (which needs to be regularly updated) of speed cameras (or where they sometimes are/where dummies are) and bleeps to let you know when you're coming up to one/going too fast and coming up to one.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Aha! found my daughter's satnav had that built in. Wondered what it was at first as I can't drive with my glasses on and can't see it without.
steve1951
My Cars:

Post by steve1951 »

Thanks all thats two options out of the way, I did wonder if the traffic master or gsp snooper had some kind of anti theft immobiliser inbuilt, so if code wasnt installed vehicle wont run.
Obviously you all know far more about Citroen's than me, this is my first.
Would the low pressure pump failing throw up the engine management light and why will it only start after i lock and unlock the car.
I assume the pump sited where it is must be an electric one.
A scary thought literally just hit me, when I said electrical, above.

Whilst driving I had the heater blower on and when the engine stalled the blower went off as well even though the ignition was still on. I assume on Citroens as normal the fan blower would still run with the engine not running. If so then I think its got to be electrical breakdown so cutting current to low pressure pump. Does that sound plausible. At least it gives me something to work on
steve1951
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

No thats normal..

It should have, like Xantias with Air Con, A Engine Running Relay

As the blower drains battery power, it cuts the supply to the blower untill the engine is running and the Alintator is supplying 13+ volts...

Preventing battery drain.

The Fuel pump IS In the Fuel tank! Lift up the rear seat, and under the carpet there should a black Circular plastic cover, lever it off and the fuel pump will be under it...
Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
steve1951
My Cars:

Post by steve1951 »

Cheers Paul, thats a load off my mind, I can usually find my way around a car mechanically. When I know what im looking for.
Electically im a hopeless case.
I am still baffled by this lock /unlock does the imobiliser cut electricity to the pump in any way.
By the way she is an estate. I take it the pump is in the same place.

Worst is, she is bloody lovely to drive. When I bought her I drove a while then stopped for petrol, literally. I was astounded on opening the filler cap cover to see Diesel only. I had to lift the bonnet to check. I would have sworn it was petrol by the performance. and they are a big car.

I should add due to low funds, I bought her in an auction.

Many thanks Paul

Steve
steve1951
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The HDI Family, in Both Early 8 valve guise and newer 16v guise's are extreamilly refined and quiet units!

Mind you, Citroen/Peugeot have always been renowned for haveing the leading edge in DERV refinment!

Regards
Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
steve1951
My Cars:

Post by steve1951 »

Hi again. Went out to car lifted seats and removed cover, checked all connections, all seems ok. Jumped in turned ignition, engine management light still on and could hear pump buzzing. Started car , started first time, warmed her up a bit, and drove of after 1/2 mile died, pulled over, left everything as was, ie ignition on, could hear pump buzzing away. Tried to start nothing. Locked unlocked started.Happened again coming back.

There is no regularity to it ie only when hot as it does it cold, length of time between have had it after a hundred yards or could go 3 or 4 miles, but nothing longer.
steve1951
steve1951
My Cars:

Post by steve1951 »

Xac wrote:GPS snooper is a speed camera warning device.
It has a location list (which needs to be regularly updated) of speed cameras (or where they sometimes are/where dummies are) and bleeps to let you know when you're coming up to one/going too fast and coming up to one.
Yes I turned the gps snooper on for the first time today. I felt totally excluded, whilst the traffic master and gps snooper between them had a non stop conversation. The snoopers the worst though, it nags worse than our lass. Slow down you are exceeding the speed limit beeping as well. I think I know two things which are going out of the window. Id sooner get a speeding ticket than listen to that. :lol:
Steve
steve1951
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

The forum experts favour the fuel pump in the tank. You say it's buzzing when engine stalls. Could it be fuel starvation? Does the pump have an intake filter like the Xantia I wonder? Partially blocked? Not sure about the next idea (clutching at straws), but presumably fuel tank is vented. Could it be blocked? Just open the filler cap

All will come right in the end - just very frustrating to start with

Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )