Problems, problems !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Front nearside may well be the windscreen scuttle lost it's seal. I think you would have had more indicators if it were the heater matrix leaking to that extent.
Commiserations in either case.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It's not a loose scuttle trim or a blocked sunroof drain - I've learned not to
jump to the worst conclusion first!!? Just makes to look and feel a bit paranoid.

Andrew

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

With regard to the centre console, from memory i think if you take the rear ash tray out there are two bolts there, then remove the height selector and check for a bolt there, remove tray/keypad and do the same. Then lift up and wiggle it out! Much easier once the seats are out!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh Mike, so sorry to hear of your wet experiences :cry: :cry: I know all about those :twisted: The front is almost certainly the scuttle trim and believe it or not, water can run from there all over the car if it goes on long enough. If your nearside footwell was really, really wet it will go everywhere. Only thing to do is to have all the carpets out and thoroughly dry them. It takes about three weeks...

If you have a sunroof, do check the drains and also check the rear light seals.

The centre console is easy. Disconnect the handbrake cables at the calipers to allow the handbrake lever to pull vertical. With the four securing nuts removed (two under the rear ashtray and two by the airbag ECU under the keypad), keypad tray removed and gearstick gaiter lifted, the console will come out quite easily by lifting the rear and teasing it out backwards. Fully recline the seats and push them as far back as they will go if they are still in place.

Like this:

Hope you find the leak. It'll soon show up with all the carpets out.

One thing, you'll find the foam under the rubber septum that lines the bulkhead and down toward the footwells very wet. You can't lift it out completely to dry it so prop some wooden blocks under it to allow some air circulation under it. It'll dry in a few weeks.

This is a picture of mine drying out.

I hope SWMBO understands the need to hang the carpets over the banister to allow them to dry!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, no sunroof so no drains :D

Try lifting the trim away from the screen. If it comes away relatively easily, then the seal is compromised. It should be stuck to the screen like the old proverbial. The critical area is over the heater intake on the nearside. The other critical area is right at the NS windscreen corner.

No, the console is only held in by four nuts Mike. None at all by the HC lever. I find the front stud holes are tight and bind on the threads, making it a bit hard to lift initially.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

:oops: Whoops sorr that red herring, i just remember taking my hc lever off, so thought there must be a reason, however it was probably to route the wiring for the leather seats!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Superloopy,

As per Jim's suggestion the rear footwell moisture is most likely a rear taillight seal or a door seal. I know they seem a mile away from there but that is a common cause :wink:

Are you losing coolant out of the bottle? If the matrix was leaking you would be :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Water leak source can be really difficult to find. I had two times this problem in the past years, long time ago :)

- If your's is an estate model like mine then I would say it is caused by the tailgate plastic membrane. That makes the boot carpet wet and excess water flows to rear footwell. Check under the rear seat which might also be wet.

- Next time it was the door seal. The top V profiled seal and door seal together made a nice pool in the rear footwell :cry: It was difficult to find the leak source. Drops came down along the central pillar inside the car.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had something similar on an XM recently, front and rear o/s carpets. The problem was caused by capiliary action drawing in water from under the doors and tread plates into the carpets. It was cured by removing the tread plated, thouroughly cleaning the paint underneath and giving it a film of Waxoil.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mike,

That's normal for scuttle trims :( Automotive silicone RTV will be fine for refixing but make sure both surfaces are spotlessly clean and bone dry.

The wipers may need some assistance to come off in my experience. Undo the nut and put a small pulkler underneath the arm. I use a small balljoint splitter intended for track rod ends although there is a pukka tool available for the job.

I'd be surprised if the floorpans are anywhere near as bad as you might think. Can you post up some photos? I've seen them very wet and not a sign of rust...

Is the car in question the red LX? If so, that is a lovely car and worth sorting out.
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I find it hard to believe the floorpan will be rotten. I've seen damaged exterior
Xm and Xantia bodywork open to the elements for years with NO surface
corrosion let alone holes/damage. Where it usually is compromised is a poorly
done repair or "traumatic" damage such as a sliced pavier stone etc...

As far as sorting the culprit of your water leak through into the footwell out,
I would watch that there's the potential to put the scuttle back on and make
it near permanent with little hope of ever removing it again to access the
wiper motor and the mountings for the dash should you ever need to change
the heater matrix. The top "film" of laminate on the screen actually peels
easier than some bonded scuttle trims!! Just be careful and seek professional
windscreen fitter's advice on this one.

Andrew

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

The screen was replaced shortly before i bought it. I was not aware of any leak though. I would also be very shocked if the footwell had more than surface rust, even old Metro's and Maestro's dont get holed this way, its more than likely just rusty water residue.

Shortly after the water pump and cambelt was replaced, i put a bottle of K-Seal in the system, which by the sounds of it, is still doing a good job at keeping the matrix in one piece. And no, i didnt put it in there because it was leaking, it was a prevention measure after all the stories i read on here.

If your getting fed up with it and decide to sell in the future, i'll gladly have it back, it was a great car to me and i miss it.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Take the radio out, on the top is the code. Not my doing, its not the original head unit as it was uprated.

Is the clutch just heavy? It always was with me, i wouldnt go to the expense until the clutch is actually worn.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Should imagine its the bush on the box rather than the actual clutch plate/ pressure plate.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7