What to look for - 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Muzzy
My Cars:

What to look for - 205

Post by Muzzy »

Hey all, new here!

Currently on the search for a 205, now im fairly new to the whole French car scene as i've mainly been into Vauxhall's (Nova's :oops:) ,. I am looking for tips on what to look for when viewing a 205, most likely will be a base model as its for a project.

Cheers in advance :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Muzzy, welcome to the forum :D Pleased to see you've seen the light and left the Vaux***l camp :lol:

I've had a few 205s in the past, including a GTi.

They're great :lol: :lol: :lol: Still miss my old GTi :cry:

Trouble is, they're beginning to show their age :(

The main things to look at now is the dread rust. They rust because they leak and look firstly for a dry one. Leaks allow water into the footwells. they rust. Side windows (mainly opening ones) leak and allow water into the sills and they rot from inside, especially if the sill drains are blocked.

Tailgates leak and allow the boot to become damp and rust. Check under the back seat for rust holes. It's hidden from the MOT man by the petrol tank.

Even dry ones rot in the inner wings at the tops under the washer bottle and jack. This is not too serious but it can spread to the chassis rails, which must always be checked as they rust from the inside out and may look OK.

The chassis rails where they run up over the back seat base can suffer metal fatigue and show cracks.

All rust problems in a 205 are not a complete show-stopper. If you can weld, they're an easy proposition to repair.

Check the condition of the rear beam (axle) if the rear suspension is stiff, seized or groans on suspension movement or an appreciable negative camber can be seen on the rear wheels, an expensive rear beam rebuild or replacement is necessary. It's not just a case of replacing bearings as the housings wear oval, writing off the axle tube.

Mechanically, with the exception of GTIs, they're bombproof. In the case of a GTi, always avoid a chavved example and check very carefully for head gasket problems.

Hope that helps. Fire any more questions you have.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...