Xantia 1.9Td Gearbox Oil Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9Td Gearbox Oil Change

Post by jmd »

Any views on renewing the Transmission (Gearbox) Oil on the Xantia 1.9Td,after having covered 160,000Mls.I'm told it is not necessary,although the oil has been there since new it looks fine,but common sense "sort of" dictates that all oil should be renewed after a certain life span.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You've heard right - they say there's no need to change it, but I changed mine when my Xantia TD had its third birthday.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Gearbox oil isn't subjected to anything like the harsh operating conditions that engine oil has to cope with, plus it doesn't get contaminants mixed in with it during its life span.
There will be some metalic particles in it but this mostly drops out of suspension during periods of inactivity, and even if you do drain it you wont get that out because its sat at the bottom of the box.
You may have to change the oil for other reasons, such as to replace worn diff seals, driveshafts or to replace a clutch, all of which require the oil to be drained, of course if the car has allready had a clutch replaced it will not be running in the original oil anyway.
Dave
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Thanks to JohnD & Dave for your comments. Diff.seals, Drive shafts,and clutch are thankfully original.When I checked the oil recently, it was only very slightly discoloured. I think i'll leave very well alone for the moment.(too many other pressing things to do)Jim