I have read (not without some disquiet it must said), that Veggie diesel fuel options can have serious detrimental effects such as on piston ring gumming, as well as oil dilution - these causing serious damage unless very much more frequent oil changes are envisaged.
The pistion ring gumming is very typical when using Castor based oils in racing engines in days of yore...
For those advocates of Veggie diesel, I suggets trying Googling on the subject....
Runiing on Veggie diesel...
-
lolingram
- RIP 2010
- Posts: 550
- Joined: 27 Dec 2006, 07:59
- x 1
Runiing on Veggie diesel...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
-
Xaccers
- Posts: 7654
- Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 23:46
- x 188
Never been a problem with Cassy.
Oil changes every 6000 miles or so (her sticking odometer means it was probably more than that between changes).
When Jim and I had her head off, it was spotless.
Oil changes every 6000 miles or so (her sticking odometer means it was probably more than that between changes).
When Jim and I had her head off, it was spotless.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)
DIY sphere tool
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)
DIY sphere tool
-
lolingram
- RIP 2010
- Posts: 550
- Joined: 27 Dec 2006, 07:59
- x 1
It would be nice to see the piston ring pack after say 20+kmiles nevertheless Xac.... have you had a look online at all?Never been a problem with Cassy.
Oil changes every 6000 miles or so (her sticking odometer means it was probably more than that between changes).
When Jim and I had her head off, it was spotless.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
-
Xaccers
- Posts: 7654
- Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 23:46
- x 188
Did plenty of research before starting on veg about 30K ago.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)
DIY sphere tool
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)
DIY sphere tool
-
KP
- Posts: 3980
- Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
- x 27
I have covered well more than 30k in one and it never missed a beat until it died from a cracked sump 
Many more people have covered higher miles without issue and the regular oil changes arent a big issue as they are quite cheap and easy to do with a set of ramps or even a trolley jack if needed and takes no more than 30mins after you have done the first 1 or 2 changes
Many more people have covered higher miles without issue and the regular oil changes arent a big issue as they are quite cheap and easy to do with a set of ramps or even a trolley jack if needed and takes no more than 30mins after you have done the first 1 or 2 changes
-
Penguin
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 04 Apr 2008, 09:35
From what I have read the ring gumming is particularly problematic for DI diesel engines. Of course, I wouldn't want to persuade anyone to use WVO or SVO in their engine without them fully understanding the risks involved. Personally, I can live with the risk as the fuel costs me approx 10ppl.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
-
Old-Guy
- (Donor 2025)
- Posts: 1815
- Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 12:08
- x 24
I 'converted' to SVO about 10 days ago having carefully researched the subject; giving great weight to the practical, long-term experience of a number of forum members with the 1.9 XUTD engine.
My only reason for so doing is the 21p+ per litre price difference between local supermarkets (84p in Tesco) and our local filling stations.
It's less convenient to buy 10 or 15 3L bottles, decant them into the tank and then dispose of the empties, but it's a substantial saving of around 25% - £12 on every tank full.
It's a matter of taxation. I have no illusions that I'm being 'green' and saving the planet by using SVO - the production of 1L of SVO probably requires rather more than the same amount of fossil fuel!
In the last few days, she's become a bit smokey/smelly (local trips), so I've thinned it with about 20% DERV (Shell) . I suspect the veggie has loosened 13 years of muck in the system, I'm hoping the DERV will help the muck wash through the HP system. I'm going to have a look at the fuel filter on Saturday and change it if it's at all dirty.
My only reason for so doing is the 21p+ per litre price difference between local supermarkets (84p in Tesco) and our local filling stations.
It's less convenient to buy 10 or 15 3L bottles, decant them into the tank and then dispose of the empties, but it's a substantial saving of around 25% - £12 on every tank full.
It's a matter of taxation. I have no illusions that I'm being 'green' and saving the planet by using SVO - the production of 1L of SVO probably requires rather more than the same amount of fossil fuel!
In the last few days, she's become a bit smokey/smelly (local trips), so I've thinned it with about 20% DERV (Shell) . I suspect the veggie has loosened 13 years of muck in the system, I'm hoping the DERV will help the muck wash through the HP system. I'm going to have a look at the fuel filter on Saturday and change it if it's at all dirty.
2012 Subaru Forester - capable but no magic carpet
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi - not missed!
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - sadly missed
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi - not missed!
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - sadly missed
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28690
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5674
-
lolingram
- RIP 2010
- Posts: 550
- Joined: 27 Dec 2006, 07:59
- x 1
Sounds more like the two different fuels are emulsifying...?Keep checking the in-tank strainer too Paul. The tank gets coated with crud* and the veg acts as a detergent on it leaving a load of gloopy* muck to clog the strainer.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
-
lolingram
- RIP 2010
- Posts: 550
- Joined: 27 Dec 2006, 07:59
- x 1
The risk including an engine rebuild?From what I have read the ring gumming is particularly problematic for DI diesel engines. Of course, I wouldn't want to persuade anyone to use WVO or SVO in their engine without them fully understanding the risks involved. Personally, I can live with the risk as the fuel costs me approx 10ppl.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
-
KP
- Posts: 3980
- Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
- x 27
I've yet to here of an IDI engine that requires a rebuild due to using SVO.
The engines are much stronger than people think.
One of mine was dirt cheap, circa £90 iirc and was leaking oil from the HG so got that done cheaply, about £100 again and the ip always weeped a bit but that car was abused massively, carrying a humoungous load once to the dump i thought the rear struts were gonna pop as it was very slow to accelerate that day... A nyway it soldiered on for about 40k miles, after numerous fording excursions, mountain bike trips, 3 bikes on the back and travveling up dirt roads to hidden tracks, and then off roading a little bit it was no worse for wear.
I cleaned it all up, gave it a good service and it was in pretty good nick so sold it on to someone for nothing more than it owed me, about £300 i think and it stil ran fine for another year or two
The engines are much stronger than people think.
One of mine was dirt cheap, circa £90 iirc and was leaking oil from the HG so got that done cheaply, about £100 again and the ip always weeped a bit but that car was abused massively, carrying a humoungous load once to the dump i thought the rear struts were gonna pop as it was very slow to accelerate that day... A nyway it soldiered on for about 40k miles, after numerous fording excursions, mountain bike trips, 3 bikes on the back and travveling up dirt roads to hidden tracks, and then off roading a little bit it was no worse for wear.
I cleaned it all up, gave it a good service and it was in pretty good nick so sold it on to someone for nothing more than it owed me, about £300 i think and it stil ran fine for another year or two
-
Xaccers
- Posts: 7654
- Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 23:46
- x 188
No it's dirt and dust over the years getting into the fuel tank.lolingram wrote:Sounds more like the two different fuels are emulsifying...?Keep checking the in-tank strainer too Paul. The tank gets coated with crud* and the veg acts as a detergent on it leaving a load of gloopy* muck to clog the strainer.
As the veg is thicker than derv it carries the dirt with it which then gets trapped on the mesh strainer, which is there because car designers know dirt and dust get into fuel tanks over the years and don't want it clogging the fuel lines to the main filter.
People forget Diesel invented his engine to run on organic oils such as palm oil rather than mineral oils.
We only use derv because it's cheaper and easier to make (as a byproduct of crude oil cracking) and it happens to work in Diesel engines.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)
DIY sphere tool
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)
DIY sphere tool
-
Penguin
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 04 Apr 2008, 09:35
Indeed. Although in reality I wouldn't do an engine rebuild. I would throw the car away and start again. At a saving of £1 a litre it doesn't take very long to get the price of the car back.lolingram wrote:The risk including an engine rebuild?From what I have read the ring gumming is particularly problematic for DI diesel engines. Of course, I wouldn't want to persuade anyone to use WVO or SVO in their engine without them fully understanding the risks involved. Personally, I can live with the risk as the fuel costs me approx 10ppl.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX