Air/Con gas low ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xsara

Air/Con gas low ?

Post by xsara »

How can I tell if the gas needs refilling ?
There is a small glass window (on the accumulator?)
but not sure what to look for through it.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It usually gets cool but not cold, or if totally out will not get cool at all.
The sight glass is almost obsolete with the new gas R-134a as when looking through the glass it will look cloudy even if there is enough gas in it.
If extremely bubbly then it would be a fair gusess it was quite low.
Alan S
xsara

Post by xsara »

Thanks alans - It's not getting cold at all.
In the sight glass can't see cloud or bubbles,
seems just clearish to me.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xsara</i>

Thanks alans - It's not getting cold at all.
In the sight glass can't see cloud or bubbles,
seems just clearish to me.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Better than even chance it has dropped the entire charge; not a real lot a DIYer can do in a case like that apart from making clear access for the air/con man which at times can be a a mammoth task in itself so the potential savings can be fairly big.
Biggest possibility could be the TX valve which on a BX is behind the glovebox and hidden behind a black plastic cover plate held on by two hex headed PK screws.
If you check out the air/con pics in the DIY section on this site, it should give you some idea of what you're looking for.
http://www.btinternet.com/~weird_world/BXinfo.html
If you can find it on your Xsara & expose it, there's a chance that if it's the culprit, the tell tale signs should be either on the valve or on the outer casing/cover plate.
If it's a bit troublesome to get to, chances are your repairer will just give it a hit of gas or tracer in the hope it will see another season out & in the process could drag the job out more than is necessary. If you dig into it, find it & make it accessible, there's no excuse for him to not fix it particularly if the signs are evident of the leak location.
You might be able to have a weekend away on what this could save you in repairs over the next couple of years [;)]
Alan S[:D]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

is the compressor clicking on when you switch on the A/C ? if not it is likely it will be a low refrigerant problem,check for a leak at the radiator thingy (condensor ?,recver/dryer ? i can never remember) at the front of the car where the pipe joins to it at the offside,they are very common for the joint cracking there.if the compressor is clicking on check the motor on the bottom of the heater box that controls the hot/cold air mixer flap is not loose where it screws on and restricting the flap from going to the fully cold position.it can be seen by removing the carpet trim under the glovebox,its right on the bottom of the heater box and has a kind of metal covering round it.
xsara

Post by xsara »

The compressor is not clicking on, so seems it's out of gas.
I'll just have to take it in for a refill.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xsara</i>

The compressor is not clicking on, so seems it's out of gas.
I'll just have to take it in for a refill.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If it's that low, do as I suggest & go looking for the TX valve as well as doing a general system check for oil stains which indicate a leak or you may end up payin through the nose if the air/con guy is looking for a reason to jack the bill up.
Pity when you can't trust your fellow tradesmen hey!![:(!][:(!]
Alan S[}:)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if there is a leak in the system i'd put money on it being from the pipe i mentioned,thats the only place i've ever known a xsara to leak from (have seen quite a few).if you follow the pipes from the service valves (cant remember which one) it leads to it.