No parking light = duff relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NiSk
My Cars:

No parking light = duff relay

Post by NiSk »

I have recently been having problems with the lighting on my '93 XM TD12. The automatic dip (standard in Sweden) wouldn't work. After a lot of mucking about and changing all the relays above the right hand headlight to no avail, it turned out to be a wire with a broken conductor (good quality, Citroën!) just close to the relays.
So imaging my complete dismay when I discovered the other day that NON of the parking lights OR the numberplate lights worked at ANY position of the lighting switch. Damd, I thought another broken wire and stared pulling the wiring harness around the lighting relays apart. Also to no avail. Then I noticed that ahe parking lights lit when the lighting switch was in dip position and the ignition was off. Ahaa! thought I there's a change over relay amoungst those three by the headlight and yes, so it was, my three week old change over relay had burnt up and welded it's contacts. So now the old original relay has taken it's place and everything is working fine again!
//NiSk
p.s. on my XM it's called the "headlight" relay - the one in the middle of the three.